John Ward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Ward

I am looking for information about John Ward. His mother was Louisa Carlisle and he was last definitely sighted in 1851 in London. He is thought to have gone to Australia but there is no definite proof of this.

Welcome, Paddy!

Would you like to post a few more details about John Ward - approx. year of birth, place of birth, etc? This might help us to find out more information about him.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

John Ward details

John Ward was born in about 1836 in Calton, Staffordshire. His father was the local vicar and he died in 1849. His mother did not remarry. His brother William Carlisle Ward was the incumbent in Mayfield in 1861.

Comment

For others searching for him, this is the family in 1841:

RG number: HO107 Piece: 1007 Book/Folio: 9/3 Page: 5

Ashbourne Reg. District
        Civil Parish: Mayfield Municipal Borough:
        Address: Parsonage Mayfield, Mayfield, Calton
        County: Staffordshire

Richard Ward 45 Clerk?
        Louisa Ward 35
        William Carlisle Ward 6
        John Ward 5
        Isabella Louisa Ward 3
        Richard Ward 3 weeks
        + 3 servants
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

According to the IGI John was christened on 24 March 1836 at Calton Staffs.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:

Comment

Can someone check the Immigration records on ancestry for you? My sub doesnt cover those to Aus...
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I have checked Ancestry for incoming ships but nothing is there. And Find My Past only starts in 1890 which is too late. Thanks anyway , from Paddy.

Comment

Have you tried the National Archives of Australia:

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch/index.aspx

Comment

Hi Paddy
                  I have a great great grandfather who was a John Ward ( from around manchester ) b.abt 1837. His mother was Isabella Louisa Ward, maiden name Carlisle. Many of his children share the names Isabella, Carlisle, Calton, Richard, William and John. Do you think this might be the John Ward you are interested in? jennyb australia

Comment

Hi Jennyb

Yes, I'm pretty sure these are "my" Wards. You can write to me at [email address removed for member safety]

would you please use the PM (private message) system onsite.
                    Last edited by Darksecretz; 12-07-12, 18:33. Reason: removal of email address

Comment

yes - surely my John Ward

Originally posted by jennyb View Post
                      Hi Paddy
                      I have a great great grandfather who was a John Ward ( from around manchester ) b.abt 1837. His mother was Isabella Louisa Ward, maiden name Carlisle. Many of his children share the names Isabella, Carlisle, Calton, Richard, William and John. Do you think this might be the John Ward you are interested in? jennyb australia
                      I know it's a long time ago but I would really like info about your link to John Ward whose mother was Isabella Louisa Carlisle (Ward)

Comment

I am pretty sure I answered this - My mother was the gg grand-daughter of Richard's mother.

Comment

I have got this all wrong. Louisa Carlisle was married to Richard Ward, John's father. Louisa's brother John Carlisle came to South Africa. My mother was his g g grand-daughter.

Comment

Jenny

My grandmother married Hugh Ward (Carltons brother) but she married a Lockrey after Hugh died and that is my line. I have details of Hughs family though if you would like them.

Regards
                            Rod Urquhart

Comment

As far as I know Hugh Ward had no children apart from a son who died aged 2. Is this correct? My new address is email address removed.
                              Regards

Paddy Smith (Carlisle researcher)

I have removed your email address as we don't recommend putting these on the site. Please contact Paddy by PM. Caroline

Comment

Hi Paddy, There was a daughter Alice. When I get a chance will check details. Jen

Comment

Hello Rod Thankyou, all information is very appreciated. Looking forward to hearing from you. Cheers Jen B

Comment

Hugh married Alice Elizabeth Matthews on Sept 15 1913. They had 3 children, Alice Dorothy in 1914 who lived only a few months; Annette b. Nov 22 1916 d. Aug 1997 out-lived two husbands, 3 children of whom 2 are still living; and Carlton (named after Hugh's brother who was killed in WWI). He was born in around 1918 but died in 1920 after he scalded himself. Hugh died on Dec 28 1920 of TB. Alice went on to marry Henry Richard Lockrey (my grandfather) and had 4 children, 2 of who are still living. I have some info on Hugh's siblings and parents but not fully complete.
                                    Hope this fills in a blank or two, Rod

Comment

Thanks Rod. I'll pass that on to the rest of my group.

Paddy

Comment

Working...
                                      X