George Duncan and Kate Rolfe Liverpool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Duncan and Kate Rolfe Liverpool

Trying to find the second marriage of George Duncan to Kate Rolfe....
    George was married to Alice Ball in 1899...he was still married to Alice in 1914 stated on his army record...
    on freebmd there is the birth of George and Kates 2 daughters
    NO marriage on freebmd or Lancsbmd.org.uk any suggestions anybody please ??? allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

There's nothing coming up on the transcribed marriages from 1916-2005 Allan, perhaps they never married.
    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

looking for Alice Ball b abt 1874...in 1901 census it states
      Alice M wife 27 b HANLEY Staffs.....anyone know what register HANLEY comes under please..the only Alice M Ball I can find is registered at Stoke Sep Qtr 1873...Ref No 6b 200....
      could someone please check this for me.....that way I can look for Alice M Duncans death with an age to match b 1873....cheers....oh...and is Hanley registered as Stoke ?....allan;)
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

OK the g daughter of George and Kate tells me that she thinks Alice had mental health problems and does not know if George and Alice divorced..
        IF the Stoke birth for Alice in Sep qtr 1873 is right ..this death matches age wise...
        Ball Alice 52 Stoke T 6b 169 June qtr 1926.....
        that`s if they did divorce..allan

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
          looking for Alice Ball b abt 1874...in 1901 census it states
          Alice M wife 27 b HANLEY Staffs.....anyone know what register HANLEY comes under please..the only Alice M Ball I can find is registered at Stoke Sep Qtr 1873...Ref No 6b 200....
          could someone please check this for me.....that way I can look for Alice M Duncans death with an age to match b 1873....cheers....oh...and is Hanley registered as Stoke ?....allan;)
          Hi Allan,
          According to Registration Districts in England and Wales Hanley is in the Stoke upon Trent district (Stoke on Trent after 1922)
          See also: Index of Places in England and Wales
          Sarah

Comment

they must have divorced then allan. if george married alice, and had kids with kate while alice was still alive, its either a divorce or bigamy. the second option could explain lack of a marriage cert?

Comment

I would think it was a bigamous marriage. Alice may have been in an asylum if she had mental health problems, and I don't think mental illness was grounds for divorce - indeed George may have felt responsible for her.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Kyle / Nell ...I can`t find a marriage for George and Kate Rolfe....that`s the problem...It`s looking like they never married...thanks ,,,.allan;)

Comment

allan, if it was a bigamous marriage, then someone may have found out....then the cert would be supressed. so if it was bigamous, and the government supressed the cert and it didnt make it to the gro indexes, you wont ever know it existed.

Comment

cheers Kyle....allan;)

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                      allan, if it was a bigamous marriage, then someone may have found out....then the cert would be supressed. so if it was bigamous, and the government supressed the cert and it didnt make it to the gro indexes, you wont ever know it existed.
                      I don't know that that is strictly correct. There was one on "Heir Hunters" last week where the second marriage certificate had an annotation about bigamy, but that was a Scottish one where the rules are different.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

UJ

The marriage cert is suppressed in England, with no notation on the INDEX.

It ought to vanish from the index too, but that does depend on when the index was compiled - some County Libraries use very old indexes which they have just added to over the years.

Of course, such suppression depends entirely on their being a court case and a conviction, or very occasionally, someone reports their own bigamous marriage, the offender cannot be found but the registrar decides it was bigamous (with supporting evidcence of course).

Oddly, if a bigamous marriage is uncovered, it has to be legally declared void, even though it was never legally a marriage!

However in the case of the OP, I think the most likely explanation is that they never married. Long term mental illness was not grounds for divorce, but could occasionally be grounds for annulment, depending on how rich you were.

OC

Comment

Kate Rolfes grandaughter has just contacted me (she`s a Garston girl)..
                          Kate Rolfe was christened 25th May 1890 in Botleys and Lyne ,Surrey
                          she was b June qtr 1890 Botleys and Lyne Surrey register office Chertsey ,Surrey Ref No 2a 45
                          .....going to see if there is another marriage for her....allan;)
                          Last edited by garstonite; 04-08-09, 08:59.

Comment

OK ...my Garston neighbour informs me that she is certain that George Duncan and Kate Rolfe met in Andover in the Land Army...she wants to know whether the Land Army kept Army Records.....anybody know ?....allan;)

Comment

hi all, allan has very kindly started this search for me, if this is of any use, my mum told me she used to go into liverpool city wih her mum to pay some sort of maintenance payment to his first wife? i dont really understand this as his first lot of children were all in their twenties when mum and her sister were born??? so maybe he was paying for his first wife to be in a home??
                              regards to all who are helping with this search!!

Comment

HIYA Sophie....welcome aboard...all great here on FTF....to all our members ...this is the Garston girl I told you about ....I`LL LEAVE THIS IN YOUR CAPABLE HANDS NOW Sophie.........good luck.....allan;)

Comment

ha ha thanks allan but i think you are far more capable than me !!;)

Comment

Hello Sophie,

Welcome to FTF!

try clicking on this link below, it might help Its a collection of websites from our reference library (we call the wiki)

Military - Family Tree Forum
                                    Julie
                                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

thankyou for the welcome and the info i will check it out right now, fingers crossed!!
                                      best wishes

Comment

Working...
                                      X