Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laundress to School Mistress to Monthly Nurse

Hello all

I have an ancestor by the name of Sophia Ellis that was a Laundress on the 1841 census then a School Mistress on the 1851 census and then a Monthly Nurse on the 1861 census.

I have two questions, the first is how did my ancestor manage to go from a Laundress to the other two jobs?
    My second question is would there be any records that I could get that would tell me more about my ancestor and her School Mistress job?

The first job was in Islington and then the second job was in Harlow Essex and last but not least she went back to Islington to become a monthly Nurse.

I have no doubt that it is the same lady as her kids are with her throughout and the names and years match up perfectly.

Danny
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

School mistress is not necessarily the grand job you might think, in Victorian times.

Absolutely anyone could set up a school and absolutely anyone could be a teacher - no qualifications required. Often the proprietors of such schools could barely read or write.

The same goes for a monthly nurse - no qualifications required, just the ability to look after the new mum and her baby for a month.

Laundress was actually a very well paid job (as opposed to Washerwoman) and a good Laundress could earn up to 12 shillings a day, plus travel expenses and food. Laundresses more or less stated their own terms and the employer was fervently grateful just to get one.

OC

Comment

Thankyou OC

Its the job I least believed to be the most grand that turns out to be the job that probably was the most skilled lol

Danny
      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Comment

i guess you might find out more if youu knew which school it was. My gt grandmother Ruth was an assistant school mistress at a national schools in Norfolk. She was well read and used to correct the vicar if he misquoted the Bible in church.
        Last edited by Little Nell; 03-08-09, 00:01. Reason: r
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Nell

I don't think there were any National Schools in 1851 as there was no compulsory education.

OC

Comment

Far be it from me to correct you OC, but National Schools were not state schools, they were founded by the Church of England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_school_(England_and_Wales says that after 1833 the state did fund these schools a bit, and in return made demands and inspections.

Limpenhoe National School, where my gt gran taught, was founded in 1850. (Source White's Directory, mentioned on the Limpenhoe page of Genuki)
            Last edited by Little Nell; 03-08-09, 10:10.

Comment

Nell

Oooh, I never knew that! Thankyou!

OC

Comment

my pleasure OC, its always good to find something you don't know, lol!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X