scot looking for help finding family tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scot looking for help finding family tree

looking ffor help finding out my scotish family tree and any living family from dundee

I'm happy to do look ups on the scottish census records.

Comment

You are very fortunate having Scottish rellies.

If you can get back 50 years for deaths, 75 years for marriages and 100 years for births you can download images from Genealogy Scottish family birth records census ancestry Scotland uk - ScotlandsPeople It costs £6 for 30 credits - use I credit to see search results and 5 credits for image - extremely cheap compared to English research. More recent I think you can only see the indexes and not the images unless you take a visit to Edinburgh when you can download recent images for a small fee.

Scottish Statutory records from 1855 give both parents names on certificates which can be an absolute godsend. However before that the OPR's you might only get very little info - sometimes in marriages just the names of the couple being married which isn't so good. However to save money searching on scotlandspeople I usually try and narrow down the possibilities using http://www.scotsorigins.com/ where you can search by counties although it is still the same info as on the IGI LDS site.
      Last edited by JBee; 02-08-09, 18:20.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Hi Peter and welcome to FTF.

What names are you searching for in Dundee (my home town)?

JBee has given you the way to go on from what you know.

When you get stuck, put your problems on here and you will find any number of willing helpers.
        Sheila

Taking a pause from tripping the light fantastic.

Comment

Peter Cassidy Burnett
          Peter Cassidy Burnett married Margaret Brown Burns in 1923. Marriage took place in the county of Angus.

Comment

There's only one Burnett / Burns marriage in Angus in 1922-24. If you buy credits for Scotlands People (£6 for 30 credits), you'll spend one credit finding the record and 5 credits viewing and/or downloading the register page. Total outlay £1.20.

You can search SP for marriages up to 1933.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Peter Cassidy Burnett marriage cert i have that

Comment

Then you should have the names of each of their parents - so you can work backwards to their births and then their parents marriages.

Also once you get to 1901 you can find the family in the census which should give you names of siblings and where they're from which will make them easier to locate.

Scotlandspeople has the images of the census 1841 - 1901 whereas Ancestry only has transcriptions. Unfortunately you'll have to wait like the rest of us until 2011 or thereabouts for the 1911 Scottish census.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

if you have access to ancestry, use them for the search of the census. they dont have the actual pages (scotlandspeople have those) and the transcriptions can be a nightmare, but once you've found your rellies on ancestry, you can jump on sp to view the image. it saves a lot of time and effort. if you dont have access to ancestry, im sure someone here will find them for you.

Comment

I dont have access to ancestry but would be happey for any help i can get

Comment

Hi Peter,
                      Give me some names that you would like a census look up for and I will see what I can find.
                      Please give as much info as possible e.g. age, place of birth. occupation etc
                      herky
                      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Peter has been on the BBC and people have found his names but Peter has not yet made it clear here that he is only interested in finding the brothers and sisters of the Peter Cassidy Burnet ****"i got him its his brothers and sisters i have no info on but thats the peter cassidy burnett all i know is he had a brother hugh burnett but thats all i no "***

So you dont already waste your time researching stuff already found for Peter.
                        BBC - MESSAGE BOARDS - History - looking for scotish family - Conversation
                        BBC - MESSAGE BOARDS - History - any 1 willing to do my family tree for me - Conversation

I am not saying not to help just making it clear that Peter wants information not yet requested here.

Edna

Comment

Oh, thanks clematised.
                          I tend to jump in on the Scottish ones as that is the area I am most used to searching.
                          I will await Peter's reply and see what he is looking for, no point in repeating a search if not required but happy to have a look for anything new.
                          Thanks
                          By the way - I didn't know the BBC had a family history section, is it any good?
                          Can't possibly be as good as FTF!!!!
                          Last edited by herky; 03-08-09, 17:16.
                          herky
                          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

No facilities on the BBC just pages dissapearing down out of site and nothing searchable either but we do our best with what we have.
                            FTF and Rootschat are both far superior.

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                              No facilities on the BBC just pages dissapearing down out of site and nothing searchable either but we do our best with what we have.
                              FTF and Rootschat are both far superior.

Edna
                              That is subjective not objective.

Comment

yes that is true i am more needing info on peter cassidys brothers an sisters if poss
                                peter cassidy burnett d.o.b 13/08/1899 in rattray perth scotland
                                Peter Cassidy Burnett married Margaret Brown Burns in 1923. Marriage took place in the county of Angus.
                                According to his marriage certificate Peter Cassidy Burnett sawmill labourer was married 28 Dec 1923 in the parish of Strathmartine. Son of Bridget Burnett (m/s Burke) and John Robert Burnett. Marriage was registered in Dundee the next day 29 December 1923
                                Peter Cassidy Burnett died in Dundee in 1964 aged 64
                                and all i no is he had a brother hugh burnett any info would be good thanks
                                Last edited by peter100; 03-08-09, 18:28.

Comment

Hi Peter,
                                  If you search the deaths on Scotlands People and enter Hugh Burnett and mothers maiden surname as Burke - you get one hit. Also matches when Dundee is added and i think that is what you suggested the family came from.
                                  This could be your man as the name combination would be quite uncommon.
                                  The only way to be sure is to spend some money on certs., I am afraid, but without verification you could be researching the wrong Hugh.
                                  If the death is recent - and you can find the date without spending any money by just gradually reducing the 2 date limits - then the cert will not be on-line.
                                  However you could work out by this method the c year of birth.
                                  But again if it is before the 100 year privacy rule for births then you can't get the cert on-line and would have to order it.
                                  good luck
                                  herky

Comment

Originally posted by Beth_ch View Post
                                    That is subjective not objective.
                                    I wouldn't regard that as entirely subjective I would regard that as an opinion.

Opinions can be subjective but can also be based on experience of the subject.

Comment

Hello Beth and welcome to FTF
                                      Your point is???

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by peter100 View Post
                                        yes that is true i am more needing info on peter cassidys brothers an sisters if poss
                                        peter cassidy burnett d.o.b 13/08/1899 in rattray perth scotland
                                        According to his marriage certificate Peter Cassidy Burnett sawmill labourer was married 28 Dec 1923 in the parish of Strathmartine. Son of Bridget Burnett (m/s Burke) and John Robert Burnett. Marriage was registered in Dundee the next day 29 December 1923
                                        Peter Cassidy Burnett died in Dundee in 1964 aged 64
                                        and all i no is he had a brother hugh burnett any info would be good thanks
                                        You really do need to join Scotlands People

Genealogy Scottish family birth records census ancestry Scotland uk - ScotlandsPeople

Comment

Working...
                                        X