Talking of Ancestry, as a couple of current threads are

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talking of Ancestry, as a couple of current threads are

How long before the basic sub is withdrawn?

Given the increasing coverage of freebmd (now well into the 1930's for some of my names) will Ancestry have to admit that the current "essentials" package is pretty much redundant?

At the very least once you have the main census returns the essentials package seems pretty worthless unless you are concentrating on post 1930 work via the bmd so is there any call for it?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

I would have thought that the Essentials package would continue to appeal to those who are new to genealogy.
    The Ancestry transcription of births and marriages, and hopefully sometime soon deaths, from 1916-2005 is also a great bonus!
    Elaine

Comment

And doesn't Essentials also include the Scottish census (mis)transcriptions?
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
        will Ancestry have to admit that the current "essentials" package is pretty much redundant?
        Of course not, because it isn't.

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
        At the very least once you have the main census returns the essentials package seems pretty worthless
        Main census returns for whom?

Some people may have a very narrow focus to their research, but I for one am always discovering sideshoots that interest me, and often have new people to search for. Not to mention new information cropping up which gives possible leads to erstwhile dead ends.

And that is only in my family tree research - I have other research projects from time to time, which get me looking up all sorts of people.

Plus there are always people just beginning.

Comment

I expect people starting out will want the censuses and BMD records.

Having said that, I'm not going to renew with Ancestry when my current subscription runs out...I might take up the package that includes the LMA records once they've got more on there but for now I HATE the new search and layout. :(

Comment

The ancestry essentials really comes into play by offering census and bmd but the bmd element (certainly pre 1920) can be viewed for free at freebmd. As more bmd records come online via freebmd the value of the ancestry package becomes less and less.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
              but for now I HATE the new search and layout. :(
              ... you don't have to use the new search layout - the old one is still available.
              Click on the search tab and select Old search from the pink bar which is under the line of tabs.
              Elaine

Comment

I don't really get what you mean Glen
                I use Ancestry nearly every day and I've been researching for 10 years now. I've just renewed my sub

Anne

Comment

I use it nearly every day for census and recently for Crockford's.
                  Joy

Comment

But Ancestry wins hands down if you cannot find a bmd on Freebmd and need to trawl through each quarter for mistranscriptions etc.

I too use Ancestry every day. There is always something to look up on the census.

If I don't renew my Ancestry sub it will be for reasons of financial inadequacy, not because I don't use it.

It will be interesting to see what happens though if Ancestry are successful in their bid to buy GR - I wonder what will happen subs-wise on both sites?

OC

Comment

Yes I use Ancestry almost daily and like OC the only reason for not renewing would be finances.
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                      X