Quaint street name in Brightlingsea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quaint street name in Brightlingsea

I have at last found a Reli in 1901 having not been able to find him due to not using his middle name and wonder if anyone knows of the address .

69 Star of Denmark Street in Brightlingsea Essex.

Does this house ? still exist , and any idea how it got its name .?

The reli is Walter 'James' Sharman aged 15 and a Mariner which matches his Birth and Marriage dates/details.

Peter

Essex Record Office website has mention of someone living in The Star of Denmark Inn, Sidney Street, Brightlingsea in 1920. I'll keep searching and see what else I can spot.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I've just looked in my Essex Street Maps book. Sydney Street is quite a long one, running between High Street and The Waterside at Brightlingsea so could have included a number 69. Perhaps it was once named Star of Denmark Street after the inn? Incidentally I think you'll find the inn was named after a sailing ship of that name.
      Update - the inn was in Sidney Street as early as 1870s.
      Last edited by JudithM; 02-08-09, 12:20.

Comment

I've just looked at that 1901 census page. The street name at the top of page is Sidney Street. Your Walter wasn't at number 69, he was in the next household which was the inn, head of household James Rowley Innkeeper, address listed as "Star of India Do." where the ditto refers to the street name -ie Sidney Street.

Comment

On the page before you get to the actual image it say what i posted 69 etc.

I see what you mean about Sidney Street then at 69 it says Star of Denmark ? then back to Sidney Street again.

As he is a Mariner could that have been an Inn for sailors ?.

Also does Mariner Seas mean he was at sea maybe at that time ? or does that distinquish between Ocean ie seas, and River Mariner perhaps?.

Peter

Comment

In theory, if he was away at sea, he shouldn't have been recorded , as the whole idea was that eveyone was recorded where they actually were that night, so if he was , say, visting the local hostally , he should have been recorded as there, not under his home address
            Jess

Comment

Brightlingsea is at the mouth of the Colne and Blackwater estuaries and I should think pretty well everything in those days was geared to sailors and sailing, not just that one inn. Even now its a sailors town, though leisure sailors nowadays.

Comment

On the page before you get to the actual image it say what i posted 69 etc.

I see what you mean about Sidney street then at 69 it says Star of Denmark ? No, after 69, and there's a mark to show this is a new household. Also 69 is schedule number 211, the Star of Denmark is schedule number 212then back to Sidney Street again.

As he is a Mariner could that have been an Inn for sailors ?. see my answer above

Also does Mariner Seas mean he was at sea maybe at that time ? or does that distinquish between Ocean ie seas, and River Mariner perhaps?. the latter, and if you look Seas is written in afterwards, as is Pub after Inn Keeper. It is part of the enumerators notation as he counted up people under various occupation categories

Comment

I found this for you. I just googled the name Star of Denmark Brightlingsea.

It used to be an Inn but was a private house in 1920s.

Elaine
                  Looking for: Bassick/Beswick in Lancashire, Wolverhampton, Durham - Bradshaw & Drage in Bozeat & London - Rainbow, Strange, Maginess, Northcote, Thompson, Bartlett & Wheeler in London - Harrington, Gusterson & Sach in Essex

Comment

Looking at the image again 69 is before and 73 after the entry for Star of Denmark so it must have been no 71?

I know he was a sailor in 1911 in Shoreham where he lived at that time and his father, Henry Sharman was also a sailor . At present i know his fathers name from his marriage cert. but i cant find him or his death listed anywhere and i know his father was deceased at the time of his marriage to Blanche Rossetter my Grans sister in 1909.

Peter

Comment

Working...
                    X