Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody know?

Hi
    I was looking at buying some CD,s from Parish Chest of Parish Registers for Hampshire but I have noticed that the majority only go up to 1812.
    Does anybody know why there is a 25 year gap from 1812 to 1837 ?

Most of the info that I need at the moment is in that 25 year period.

Ken

I don't know the specific answer to your question, but note that 1812 was when the Dade registers were adopted, so it may be something to do with that?

OC

Comment

I don't know about Hampshire, but for Bedfordshire it is because an assistant to the county archivist used to cycle around Bedfordshire parishes before WWII, transcribing the registers up to 1812.
      Sarah

Comment

I have noticed quite a few of the Kent ones stop at 1812 as well, and snap....just the time period I`m after as well.

What are Dade registers please OC?

Nicky

Comment

Try here for a full explanation of Dade registers:

Parish Registers - Family Tree Forum

Pat

Comment

Ken, could you look at the registers you are interested in on film instead? If you look at the LDS catalogue, that will show if the dates are available for the places you are interested in. You can then order the films at the LDS but beware, the prices have recently increased.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Pat
            Last edited by Elderflower; 02-08-09, 13:21. Reason: added link to LDS catalogue

Comment

Thanks for the replies but none answer the question.

I have looked at other counties and a lot stop at 1812 it is not just Hampshire , The Roses Act of 1812 laid down guidelines for recording BMD,s but why are the registers not available? Why did the transcribers stop at 1812 ?

Southampton library has a copy of the LDS Fiche but I can not find the info I am looking for. I thought by buying the CD's for particular area's I could trawl through.

Surely a lot of you "old campaigners " must have come across the same problem before.

Ken

Comment

I think its because with the change in registers it was a convenient place to stop. Remember that the vast majority of the transcribing has been done by volunteers. Many of the registers earlier than 1812 are incredibly difficult to read and the burials and baptisms usually come all mixed together.

Once you get to 1812 it becomes much easier to read them but I hope FHS volunteers will continue transcribing! Of course- it does need the volunteers:p

OC, Do you really mean Dade or Rose

Anne

Comment

The Hampshire Family Historian which is the magazine for the Hampshire Genealogical Society has many CD's on offer. A sample from March 09 issue are as follows:

Hampshire M Index 1754 to 1837 cost £22 with a second M Index to include a further 100,000 marriages cost £12 (Excludes the Isle of Wight)

Hampshire Baptism Index 1752 to 1812 cost £25 and 1813 to 1841 cost £20

Hampshire Burial Index 1400 to 1837 cost £20 (Excludes Isle of wight)

Most need Widows XP or Vista.

See website; Hampshire Genealogical Society Home Page

Janet

Comment

Hi Janet and Ann Thanks for your replies
                    Something does not make sense , if the 1812 to 1837 records are easier to read why do the earlier ones which are difficult to read first ?
                    I have seen the Hampshire Genealogical site but the discs exclude the Isle of Wight.
                    Also the discs are very restrictive in the need for Microsoft XP or Vista. I do not use either so they would be no use to me. One has to ask why they went down that road as most places use PDF which is readable by any operating system.

ken

Comment

Sorry, yes, I meant Rose. However, my area continued to use Dade registers well after 1812!

Ken

Transcribers do what transcribers want to do and feel capable of doing. It may be there is only one transcriber for your area and he/she just hasn't got around to doing it yet.

Also - many churches would not give permission for their registers to be copied by anyone and it may be that the bits which HAVE been done have been done clandestinely. I know that some LDS films end at 1812 and there is then a gap in what they have filmed, starting again in 1837, which suggests that 1812-1837 is not available for some reason unknown.

OC

Comment

Elderflower .......Thanks for pointing me in right direction for the Rose/Dade explanation....I didn`t realise there had been so many changes over the centuries.

Nicky

Comment

Working...
                        X