Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newspaper Article....lookup if you could please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newspaper Article....lookup if you could please!

Hi
    I was wondering if someone could please have a look for an article that was possibly in the London Times. I only have sketchy details and hope it is enough to retrive the article, as I am requesting this for a friend I will try to find out any other details if they are needed. This is all I have;
    Head lines were… Bletchley Has a Hero…. the main person in article was a Fredrick B McQuillin, there was also a Mr Turner named in it as well, it was about 1940-45, around the time of the bombing of London. Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.
    [COLOR="Purple"][COLOR="darkorchid"]Thanks

Mystic.........

Good morning Mystic.....I just googled online for London Times....it came up....so I googled "Bletchley has a hero".....it came up 29th July 1944.....but you have to be a MEMBER to view and they want paying......let me see if I can get on another way,,,allan;)
    ADDED.........a daily pass is £4.95p.....it only has the one match...so they`ll have to pay to see if it`s the right people they`re looking for....unless someone on here as a monthly or annual pass for the times online....
    it`s on the google of "archives times online"......allan;)
    Last edited by garstonite; 02-08-09, 06:41.
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Thank you for finding it, at least we have a date now and some kind of confirmation, wasn't sure where to look. I might see if anyone is able to call it up of which I would be greatful for, if not I will let them know that they will have to pay to retrieve the article themselves. Thanks again.

Mystic.........

Comment

You can get free access by joining lancashire libraries online......gives you completly free access to the Times and many other newspapers, you can use it immeadiatly as they give you a temporary password, your card for borrowing books etc comes in the post in a few days, been an absolute goldmine for me .

Nicky

Comment

I have just tried finding this as Bromley libraries has access to Times Digital online. Have had no success though. Have tried searching on some, then all of the terms and also just on the date and cannot find it. Have had problems finding info in Times Digital previously, even when given a copy of the article I am searching for. Must be something I am doing wrong!

Pat

Comment

I just looked Pat as well, and i couldn`t find it either........... tried all different search combinations , mans name. headline everything, but couldn`t find it, not had trouble with it before though.

nicky

Comment

I can see a page matching what Allan has found - but when you view it there is nothing about an article entitled 'Bletchley has a hero'.
              I imagine they have filmed the wrong page an incorrect link.
              Elaine

Comment

I tried browsing the paper for that day, but nothing sprang out!

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Mystic

I have access to the Times Digital Archive at work. I'll see if I can find it for you tomorrow if no-one has beaten me to it!

Comment

frederick benjamin mcquillan leader of A.R.P rescue party islington got a british empire medal in 1941.
                    so did george turner leader of A.R.P rescue party islington
                    the meercat.

Comment

Originally posted by the meercat View Post
                      frederick benjamin mcquillan leader of A.R.P rescue party islington got a british empire medal in 1941.
                      so did george turner leader of A.R.P rescue party islington
                      That's reported in:
                      The Times, Saturday, Feb 01, 1941; pg. 2; Issue 48839; col C
                      Gallantry In Air Raids Civilian Awards, Police, Firemen, And Nurses Honoured
                      Category: Official Appointments and Notices

Can't get the Times to show the original article, tho'.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Found it in the London Gazette:

Gazette Website: PDF Navigator

The chances are that the Times article wouldn't do a lot more than replicate this (tho' it's not obvious where "Bletchley Has a Hero" comes into it - unless one or other of the men came from there?).

Christine
                        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 02-08-09, 22:20.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your efforts in helping me. Sorry for a delay in me getting back on line...have been a little busy. Meercat; Silly question but is this a headline or just a statement from somewhere.
                          "frederick benjamin mcquillan leader of A.R.P rescue party islington got a british empire medal in 1941. so did george turner leader of A.R.P rescue party islington"

Edit; Sorry just read Christines last post and looked at the attachment!!

Poppybat..would be most appreciative, if you are able to find the article. Thanks again for your help.
                          Last edited by Mystic; 03-08-09, 09:46.

Mystic.........

Comment

Thanks for that Christine. I will get in contact with my friend and see if he was aware of this...obviously I'm not sure if maybe this has something to do with the article that he was referring to. Will let you know the outcome.

Mystic.........

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all you help. I have spoken to my friend and he is very happy with the article and its content. He was apparently curious about Frederick Mc Quillian receiving an OBE or something similar, is there any where else that we can find out more information about the award that he recieved, he thinks it may have been presented it by someone in the Royal family?

Mystic.........

Comment

Originally posted by Mystic View Post
                                Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all you help. I have spoken to my friend and he is very happy with the article and its content. He was apparently curious about Frederick Mc Quillian receiving an OBE or something similar, is there any where else that we can find out more information about the award that he recieved, he thinks it may have been presented it by someone in the Royal family?
                                I think someone needs to contact the Gale organisation to find out what that original headline link should really be joined to. It's daft that there's a "hit" but the page which comes up obviously isn't the right one.

Christine

Comment

Hi Christine,

Sorry to ask silly questions but what is the Gale Organisation?

Regards

Mystic.

Mystic.........

Comment

The T(imes) D(igital) A(rchive) is usually under the umbrella of Thom(p)son Gale, and it often only mentions the Gale bit.

Christine

Comment

Ok...thank you.

Mystic.........

Comment

Hi Mystic

Didn't get a chance to look at the Times Archive yesterday as we were really busy. Have had a quick look today, and found the image of the article mentioned by Christine above. All it literally says is this:

"Gallantry in Air Raids. Civilian Awards. Police, Firemen and Nurses Honoured.
                                        It is announced in the London Gazette that the King has given orders for the following appointments and awards...
                                        British Empire Medal...
                                        "Frederick Benjamin McQuillan, leader of ARP Rescue Paty, Islington" and "George Turner, leader of ARP Rescue Party, Islington"
                                        (there are others named, for this and other awards)

There aren't any further details about what he got the award for, which does seem a shame. Have you thought of looking in the more local papers? They might have carried the story with more detail.

I can't seem to locate the original article you mentioned - are you sure it was from the Times?

Comment

Working...
                                        X