A helpful tip.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A helpful tip.

Someone who has her tree on GR has given me access to it. It has about 4000 people on it but what she has done is put an asterisk next to the surname of her direct paternal line.
    It took me a minute to work through her tree rather than the usual struggle.
    Might try it myself.
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Jeanie

I have done something similar on my TP tree - I have Ahnentafel numbers next to all my direct ancestors.

On my off-line paper tree it is simple - all my direct line ancestors are written in red, blood relations in black outlined with a red box and everyone else in black (or pencil, if not proven).

OC

Comment

With Tribal Pages it'll do it automatically for you.

The free sub allows you only one line but the a paid sub gives at least 4 - its colour coded so when you print off you can see at a glance where the direct lines are. (you can choose your colours).

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

If you add the asterisk yourself, doesn't that stop people from searching for the name?

I got so tired of Smith hot matches on GUT that I added an asterisk after the surname, and they stopped coming up.

Comment

Actually that is a good idea as I always seem to have trouble finding out where the GR people fit in with my branches. Maybe GR could organise something that won't stop people searching, but helps identify the line more easily.

Comment

I done that with * for my dads and ** for my mums direct ancestors...the problem is on your surname matches you get
            oakes
            oakes*.......and when you have your 5 x g grandparents thats alot of
            oakes ...........and
            oakes*..........so in the end I deleted the asterisks...to much hassle when checking surname matches........allan;)
            Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
            oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
            adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
            merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
            coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Hi,

I have used this technique on my ged com file an * underlines the name. I was finding that when I got back five or six generations I couldn't remember who I was directly descended from!!

Sandra

Comment

Working...
              X