Poona(h) House, Tunbridge Wells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poona(h) House, Tunbridge Wells

How can I find out more about this building? This was home to Wiliam (N or H) Jones born 1806? Wales in the 1841, 1851 census but by 1881 census it had gone. A family contact told me they had seen the old house on a map. In its place Poonah Road/Place - my relies by 1881 lived at no 12.

There is a bit of a mystery here. I was told that my ggrandmother was descended from a welsh housemaid and the youngest son of a scottish lord who was disinherited. My contact was told that "a fortune was frittered away".

I'd like to know who owned the building, when it was built, why it was demolished (presumably to make some money?). In the census William was a dyer and over a number of years they seemed to work in the laundry business. I haven't managed to find any reference to them in historical directories on-line. I wrote to the land registry re: the current house but no reply yet (if at all).

Any suggestions very welcome.

Ayse

Hi
    I don't think the house had "gone" by 1881. The road had possibly been re numbered. They are living next door to the Cole family in 1871 & also in 1881.
    Moggie

Comment

Hi,

you might have some luck with a selection of links from our Kent page in our wiki...

Kent - Family Tree Forum
      Last edited by Darksecretz; 01-08-09, 16:31.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions -

How can I find out if the houses were re-numbered - or if there was a different house? I have a photo of the house and they look as if they are later Victorian that 1851.

I'll certainly have a look at the Wiki.

Thanks again Ayse:D

Comment

Originally posted by ayse View Post
          How can I find out if the houses were re-numbered - or if there was a different house? I have a photo of the house and they look as if they are later Victorian that 1851.

Ayse:D
          How about asking the Local Studies department at Tunbridge Wells Library
          tunbridgewellslibrary@kent.gov.uk

Comment

I'll mail them this week. Just waiting for a death cert. It may have a spot more info, who knows. Have a lovely day.
            Ayse

Comment

Working...
            X