re: Find My Past Great War Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re: Find My Past Great War Records

Had an email from them about their latest services records for the 1914-19 war. Put in 2 names (out of curiousity), one being my father, who survived and the other my mother's only brother, who didn't. (I have all his details) Their site stated they could find no trace of either !!! Not a lot of use, are they.

Well I just put in 2 names as well, one who survived, one not, and both came up so I suppose I could say they were a lot of use
    Actually have you read the notes about what records they have? The soldiers who died roll is an official one and pretty complete, but doesn't include those who died of wounds after discharge. The roll of soldiers who served and survived was an unofficial one and only included people who submitted their details, or whose family members submitted them so its a far from complete record. Even so it could be a way of tracing someone who army records were part of the burnt records and who doesn't feature in the pension records.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I expect they will only have details of those whose records survived. A large percentage were detroyed in WW2.
      Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

Comment

Judith M - Agree it might be helpful in some cases but overall with so much missing, probably of limited use despite their claims.

Comment

I thought the email was a bit strange as they have had these records for a long time and they are certainly not "service" records.

You need to understand that all the WW1 records they mentioned are for those who died - except for the National Roll of the Great War. As JudithM says that was compiled from paid entries - and the project collapsed before books for many areas of the country were ever produced so coverage is limited (and not always completely accurate)

De Ruvigny's is a brilliant record - but tended to include more "upper crust" casualties than ordinary mortals, the Jack Clegg Memorial Database is an incredibly detailed record of Royal Naval Division men, the war death indices are useful - and unlike the version on Ancestry - the Soldiers Died in the Great War database is accurate (well - as accurate as the originals were) - Ancestry has totally stuffed up the theatre of war section - are aware of it but appear to be completely disinterested in putting it right - just have a look at what a dangerous area "Aldershot" was - but "France and Flanders" gets hardly a mention!

If you are seriously researching British WW1 casualties the FMP records would be very useful if you don't have access to them anywhere else

Cheers
          Sue

Comment

Originally posted by SueNSW View Post
            Ancestry has totally stuffed up the theatre of war section - are aware of it but appear to be completely disinterested in putting it right - just have a look at what a dangerous area "Aldershot" was - but "France and Flanders" gets hardly a mention!
            Less obvious is that Ancestry have also transposed the Residence and Enlistment fields.

Comment

Thanks for that Blackberry - I knew they had also transposed a couple of the other fields but couldn't remember off hand which ones they were - so didn't want to do them an injustice by getting it wrong!! - is there a "cynical" smiley??

Cheers
              Sue

Comment

Working...
              X