A surgeon in the 1600s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A surgeon in the 1600s

One of my ancestors was a surgeon in the late 17th century: I'd love to find out where/how he trained. Does anyone know if he'd have gone to University, or would he have trained as an apprentice under another surgeon? Where would I look for apprenticeship records for this period?

Thanks!
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Just found this - I like the idea of having to host a dinner!

At the beginning of the seventeenth century medical education depended on apprenticeship. Apprentices had to serve for seven years and to pass examinations at the end of their third, fifth and seventh years. The apprentice had to pay five pounds for entry money and also host a good dinner for his examiners at the end of third year. His examinations were partly written and partly practical and at the end of his term if he passed, he was to pay 10 pounds.
    Source: University of Glasgow :: Faculty of Medicine :: 17th Century

You might find something of interest in this book (via Google books)
    Popular medicine in seventeenth ... - Google Books
    Elaine

Comment

Thank you! I'd been going round in circles.
      Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Another link which may be useful:
        Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section - Sources For Tracing Apothecaries, Surgeons, Physicians
        Elaine

Comment

This is also very helpful - my ancestor lived and worked in the City of London. I just wish I could get to the Guildhall library!

Comment

Have you checked to see if his name comes up in the 17th/18th Century Burney newspaper collection - if you don't have access then give me his name and I'll have a look for you.
            Elaine

Comment

Ooh yes, please! I haven't heard of the Burney newspaper collection... His name was Thomas Gardiner, he was probably born sometime around 1648, he died in 1710 and he was surgeon to King William III and Queen Mary, then to Queen Anne, and Surgeon General of the Army. I've seen his name spelled Gardner in one source.

Thank you for your generous offer!

Comment

Not a lot there! First one is short and to the point!

Evening Post (1709) (London, England), Saturday, December 30, 1710; Issue 217.

Daily Courant (London, England), Tuesday, October 13, 1702; Issue 153.

Daily Courant (London, England), Saturday, October 10, 1702; Issue 151.

Elaine

Comment

What a find! This is gold dust - thank you so much.

It's interesting that the writer of the October 13 report has got his knickers in a bit of a twist about whether or not Thomas Gardiner was the chief surgeon; he was paid a regular salary as "surgeon to the household". (It's recorded in the Civil List at British History Online).

Comment

Have you tried google books - quite a few references to him there including this one.
                    The royal doctors, 1485-1714 ... - Google Books
                    Elaine

Comment

Interesting stuff: a relative of mine married a surgeon in the late 17th century. He was Thomas Phillips and lived in Droitwich.

Comment

Yes I had found him in Google books, but thank you for taking the trouble to look for me. What I'd really like to find out is where one would look for apprentices' indenture documents... I suspect they're probably in the LMA, which is not easily accessible for me.

Comment

Working...
                        X