irish burial records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• irish burial records

do they exist? or are they like scotland, hit and miss? if there are such records, who has them, and what counties do they exist for?

This is a great site for finding out about Irish records: Irish genealogy search: research family history at The Irish Times
    You can search county by county here to find out about different types of records available: Irish Ancestors /Counties
    And this will show what Catholic parish record transcripts are available and where: Roman Catholic records

Birth Death Marriage Genealogy Records Ireland - Irish Family History Foundation also has some burial records. To see what's available, it's best to click on the individual counties on the map, and then under the "Free Index Access Box" you can click on a link "for a detailed list of the records that are searchable".
    Sarah

Comment

thanx for those cloggie. now i know the national library has some copies, im happy as now i have a realistic chance of getting some parish records. but the parish i want doesnt mention burials or deaths. does this mean theyre just not available, or there are none?

Comment

Not sure about that, but if it doesn't mention deaths/burials while it does mention births/baptisms and marriages, then I would have thought it means they're not available. Remember that the lists on the Irish Ancestors site are just of transcriptions. The originals are probably still held by the parish/church itself.
        Sarah

Comment

that's what i thought. my ancestor seems to have been widowed and then come to australia, but only 4 of the 10 kids are attested for here, so i think at least half died in clare, with the father. it would be great if there burial records, but im not sure anymore. though it did say that the library had the marriages, and the clare records didnt specify whether they had those.

Comment

Burials/deaths are very thin on the ground for Ireland pre 1864. Baptisms and Marriages yes, but I have found no deaths for any of mine pre 1864 in Tipperary or Cork! I would be very interested to know if you have any luck!

Yes, all the originals are with all the churches across Ireland, but I have yet to come up against any deaths/burials, and I have been to many churches looking for records. I am still waiting to kill ALL of my Irish ones off back to 1798 baptisms, except those that emigrated to the USA. I have never found any deaths in National Library pre 1864!

Janet
            Last edited by Janet; 31-07-09, 19:53.

Comment

I think it is very hit and miss, depending where your ancestors came from. According to the Irish Ancestors site there are burial transcripts going back to 1808 for one of the parishes where my OH's ancestors came from in Down, and back to 1818 for another one. But some of the neighbouring parishes have no burial transcripts listed at all.
              I've also seen burial transcripts listed for some parishes in Galway, Roscommon, Wexford and others.
              Sarah

Comment

at least they exist for some counties. i did contact the clare heritage centre a year ago about getting records. the only was to do it was to order a family history report. the price was phenomenal!! they said they had found records concerning this family, but i wasnt paying 200 euro for a few baptisms, and maybe the griffiths details. now that i know the irish library has them, it may be a cheaper way to get the records.

Comment

Working...
                X