Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occupation Help Please

Hi
    Could someone interpret the occupation on this baptism record, it comes from the early 1800's in Chatham to give you an idea of where and when. The last record for this family gave the fathers occupation as Marine, it looks like something mariner, but i have no idea what
    Many thanks

Last edited by Jogan; 31-07-09, 11:37.

Looks like Seargents of Marines to me, but I have no idea what that is!

OC

Comment

It looks like Sergeant of Marines to me which I didn't think made much sense at first but there are various historical references to that occupation.

Have a look here about half way down

Liverpool museums - 'The Death of Nelson' , by Benjamin West | Artwork of the Month
      Jackie

Comment

i agree. but the only references i could find were to american positions.

Comment

It looks like graph at the end of the word, but cannot read the beinning part
          second word is mariner.
          Janet
          Last edited by Janet; 31-07-09, 12:14.

Comment

I go with Sergeant of Marines.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks for your help, I thought it might end with graph, but Sergeant sounds more plausible.
              Thanks again
              Jo

Comment

Given the date, it might be worth investigating if he was connected with Nelson.

One of my relatives was with Nelson and although only a very humble man, because of the association with Nelson I was able to find extensive records about him (well, someone else kindly pointed me in the right direction to find them)

OC

Comment

I've found 2 references to "serjeant of marines" at British History Online, so it does indeed look as though there was such a job.
                  Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Working...
                  X