Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Laptops and1 printer connection?

Hello all,
    We have a laptop and printer connected up stairs and a laptop downstairs that i use a lot on my family searches.
    Is there a way (to save my legs )to let me connect to the printer from this laptop
    We are wireless connected.
    Edi.x.

I did this with my son's laptop and connected it to our main printer. It was really straightforward - his is Vista and ours is XP but that wasn't a problem.

The only thing I hadn't realised is that if he sends something to print it will only start doing so if the main PC is turned on. If, when he sends it the PC is off, the print job waits until the next time the PC is on.

If you Google "network printers" there are various sites with instructions and you should be able to find one that helps depending on whether you're Vista, XP etc. This one is quite good for XP

Share Your Printer Over a Home Network Using Windows XP
    Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
      I did this with my son's laptop and connected it to our main printer. It was really straightforward - his is Vista and ours is XP but that wasn't a problem.

The only thing I hadn't realised is that if he sends something to print it will only start doing so if the main PC is turned on. If, when he sends it the PC is off, the print job waits until the next time the PC is on.

If you Google "network printers" there are various sites with instructions and you should be able to find one that helps depending on whether you're Vista, XP etc. This one is quite good for XP

Share Your Printer Over a Home Network Using Windows XP
      Sorry for delay in reply had to go out.
      Thankyou for helping.

Both laptops are Vista
      Will come back if i get stuck.
      Edi.x.

Comment

You need to have a "print server". In the method suggested by Night Owl, the main computer also acts as print server and has to be turned on all the time. As an alternative you can buy a dedicated widdly little print server box that plugs into your router and the printer. Some fancy printers now have the print server function built in.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

How do you find out if your printer is compatible with a wireless router ;;;my main comp is usb connected to the printer (Epsom DX4050) have tried to do it the wat said above but it couldnt find the printer ???
          Any ideas how I could do it please ????

Sorry for butting in you thread Edi ;;;
          borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

You need to use a WiFi Print server device.

What you do is connect your printer to this device and your WiFi Router

Then all PCs in the house can connect to it via their WiFi

An example is here, but you are best to visit PC would etc to look at one, as there are cheaper versions
            HP USB Network Print Adapter - Print server - USB - EN, Fast EN - Ebuyer

Researching:
            FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thankyou Jackie, UJohn and Trevor for your replies.

Well i'm no comput' techy and as much as i've tried can't get even laptops tp talk to each other.

Anyway rang my eldest son and explained what's what, turns out he's just solved the same problem for his partners eldest son and g/friend who have been doing course work but wanting to share printer to keep cost down.

So i've asked him if he'll come and have a look at our
              He's off this w/end and also has my gransons staying over.
              Bit of blackmail here.lol.
              Said how about i feed you all and take g-sons out for afternoon while you have a look at it ...mmm.
              Did'nt take long to wait for answer ..
              Think i'm getting the best from the bargain
              Edi.x

Borobaba..No don't mind at all.x.

Comment

Originally posted by Englishedith View Post
                Thankyou Jackie, UJohn and Trevor for your replies.

Well i'm no comput' techy and as much as i've tried can't get even laptops tp talk to each other.

Anyway rang my eldest son and explained what's what, turns out he's just solved the same problem for his partners eldest son and g/friend who have been doing course work but wanting to share printer to keep cost down.

So i've asked him if he'll come and have a look at our
                He's off this w/end and also has my gransons staying over.
                Bit of blackmail here.lol.
                Said how about i feed you all and take g-sons out for afternoon while you have a look at it ...mmm.
                Did'nt take long to wait for answer ..
                Think i'm getting the best from the bargain
                Edi.x

Borobaba..No don't mind at all.x.
                Sorry babs, must proof read after i've typed.
                Still getting use to keys being closer on laptop keyboard .x.

Comment

Well my sons sorted it now, no mean feat i can tell you.
                  Wasn't quite the same problem as his partners son.

Anyway he found out in the end Norton was blocking it
                  He went into Norton for it to allow it and that sorted it.

So if yours are not seeing each other try your security to see if it's that

They've only just gone
                  Had a lovely day with grandsons and meal went down a treat.
                  Mind you youngest G-son has nibble all day such a good appitite.
                  Edi.x.

Comment

Working...
                  X