World Ancestry Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Ancestry Help

Would someone with this facility be good enough to check this person out? I'm wondering if i have found an ancestor and don't quite know how to verify it you help is greatly appreciated

Johanna Elizabeth Thiel
    b 31JUL1847
    bapt 08AUG1847 Evangelish (protestant)
    Rawitsch Posen Prussia
    parents: Johann Benjamin Thiel & Johanna Helena Bayer

The above is nearly a perfect match for information that i have from a marriage cert for my gggrandparents, which is:

Johanna Thiel
    b 31JUL 1847 - d10SEPT1910
    m Wilhelm Grundmann b 17OCT1850 - d OCT1937 Staaken Berlin Germany
    Johanna's parents were Johanna Bayer (1815 -1900) & Benjamin Thiel b 1811 Guhrau?
    Last edited by Delightful Dukkie; 05-08-09, 23:39.

I can't get anything for Johanna or Benjamin. What collection were you searching? It might work if I know that.
    Kit

Comment

Originally posted by Delightful Dukkie View Post
      Johanna Elizabeth Thiel
      b 31JUL1847
      bapt 08AUG1847 Evangelish (protestant)
      Rawitsch Posen Prussia
      parents: Johanna Benjamin Thiel & Johanna Helena Bayer
      I can see this info on the IGI but can't find a match to it on Ancestry at the moment.
      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
        I can't get anything for Johanna or Benjamin. What collection were you searching? It might work if I know that.
        Oh dear, thank you for looking Kit. I'm not sure, I can't remember, i'll have another look next week and see if i can back track...was was all over the place following this lead and didn't take notes...another lesson learned :o

Comment

Do u think she may be the same person though? With dates the same and middle names added?? Would it be safe to make this huge assumption? i do wish/hope to claim her lol!! Thankyou for trying :D
          Last edited by Delightful Dukkie; 01-08-09, 00:12.

Comment

well if it were me dukkie, i'd say you have her, so the middle names dont tally... and??? I have alot of line sthat dont have middle names listed, but they are one and the same...

looks to me like you have her/them
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
              well if it were me dukkie, i'd say you have her, so the middle names dont tally... and??? I have alot of line sthat dont have middle names listed, but they are one and the same...

looks to me like you have her/them
              Yeah!! Its 'she' my gggrandmother lol (I hope) :D The "additional information is that Johanna 's middle name is Elizabeth and her parents had the middle names of Helena and Johann (or he used his middle name as his first name). Its my first real find in this mystery lol and Oh so tiny lol

just a note: All my grandfathers on my mothers side had the same names. Each was known by /called by one of his first names so that they could tell who was who..but that information has been lost... and i'm trying to unravel it lol
              Last edited by Delightful Dukkie; 01-08-09, 00:31.

Comment

Dukkie

with the assumptions you have made it makes MY family out to be saints!!! lol!!

I have my gt x2 grandparents the only thing i can tie them in with atmo is their names and names of thier siblings and parents...

my x2 grandad... thomas graves.. had a daughter... susannah eleanor... the only link i have so far...

his grandma was called Eleanor............. and mother Susanna

so the naming pattern seems logical to me...
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Darksecretz
                  LOL yes and that is only one grandparent's line;)
                  Now i am going to find where this place is lol and then to try and find some records..and it has taken only 3 yrs to learn minute computer and genealogy skills! Oh has one good line but several "messy" missing bits LOL and all this before breakfast lol:D

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                    I can see this info on the IGI but can't find a match to it on Ancestry at the moment.

Now, all this time later, If i check the IGI (which i've forgotten how to do) would it show her husband , my gggrandfather ?? What was the IGI again ?

Comment

igi = international genealogical index. a mormon database of births and marriages for most of europe. it also has certain records for other countries. it is always advised you seek the originals when you find info here.

FamilySearch.org - Search

search for your name under "germany" and you will find it.

Comment

The plot thickens!:DWonderfully (one might say delightfully!!) LOL
                        A kind soul gave me info about her husbands town of birth. Its so so close to where Johanna was born !!
                        Prussian Rawitsch is near Pakowko in Upper Silesia
                        (Polish Rawicz & Pakowka)
                        So, now i need to find Posen Archives .. lol .. and have a good search!!
                        Where do i do that ??

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
                          i was looking in the Pozan Project in Ancestry and in feefhs but i've narrowed the field just a little . the suggestion to me was to find the Posen Archives..and i'm working on that . Thanks for your interest Kit.:D

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                            igi = international genealogical index. a mormon database of births and marriages for most of europe. it also has certain records for other countries. it is always advised you seek the originals when you find info here.

FamilySearch.org - Search

search for your name under "germany" and you will find it.
                            thank you so much:D
                            i am on a woody path following the crumbs lol and i'm "chuffed" just had a thought...is POZAN/POSEN the same project? would the archives be in here ??

Comment

my grandmother's family are german's from poznan, called posen in the old days when it was part of prussia. the border is called the polish corridor. the problem with research with poznan, is it is also the name of the state surrounding the city. so you need to establish wether your ancestor was born in the state or in the city. the polish archives seem to have a branch at poznan, that holds the records. the poznan marriage project is great, but you will need to check the original entry.

Poznan Project - help on search

this link tells you to click on the 'get original record' link next to the entry you want. scroll down to the bottom to read about this. the 'get original record' link will take you to the contact page for the relevant archives.

my ancestors marriage appears on there for 1846, when i found it, it was the biggest breakthrough my family had made on this family in over 150 years!! i emailed them about getting a copy, but never got a reply.
                              the contact details are on their homepage, but it is always suggested when you want eastern european records, to write to the archives in their language. i have yet to write in polish, but i suggest you write to them about the records your after in polish. it may be easier to find someone who speaks it, or use an online translator, though these are as good as you using a dictionary to write it.

dont forget to google the church the marriage was in, wikipedia may have a pic of it. my ancestors married in the oldest church in poland, where the early kings are buried, so you may find some interesting things about the church.

Comment

Working...
                              X