Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone find my missing 1871 census entry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone find my missing 1871 census entry?

After three years and hundreds of uncovered ancestors, I'm back to the missing link in my great-great grandmothers story. I've never been able to find her on the 1871 census, and after researching her brother, thought I knew why. The story is something like this:

Joseph (big brother) left Wales in 1869 to work as a Methodist minister in Nova Scotia. I now have a complete history of his 50 year church career and every year is accounted for. In 1880, his sister Sarah married in Nova Scotia. After failing to find her in the 1871 Wales or England census, I assumed she must have left with him, thus explaining her absence. BUT this week I've been told that Sarah was sent to Canada for medical reasons on advice from a doctor after the death of another sibling, Hannah in Jan 1876. So now I've gone back to trying to find her on the 1871.... without any success.
    Hannah was working as a domestic servant in London in 1871, so I thought Sarah might have been in service too... but so far no luck tracing her in London either.

Sarah was born Sarah Hale in 1855, in Risca, Monmouthshire. I have every other census she should appear on (she came back from Canada later!), and the rest of her family for 1871 in various places, just no sign of her. She isn't living with her parents as Dad is dead and Mum remarried, and I have their census entry. I've tried under Hall, Hail, Hayle etc etc, and tried Sara, S etc. I'm clean out of ideas now - would anyone else be willing to have a look and see if I'm missing something?

What was her mothers maiden name? and remarried name?

I have seen grandchildren and step children listed on the census using either of these insted of the real name before.

Comment

I have looked and couldnt see her either.. sorry..
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I don't think the one below is yours as the age is completely wrong - unless the 6 is a 1, so 15 rather than 65.
        Also she is unlikely to be a housekeeper at 15.
        Any way - so far this one is my only suggestion, it is indexed as SARAH HALL (but looks like HALE) b 1806, Monmouthshire. Worth a look anyway to rule it out.
        RG10
        P 2603
        F38
        P 39
        Last edited by herky; 01-08-09, 12:33.
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I think this is a very good candidate!

- Ancestry.co.uk
          Transcribed place of birth is Risea, but clearly looks like a c on the original image to me!
          Tessie

Comment

I reckon Tessie has her!

Comment

I agree!
              Margaret

Comment

Tessie - thankyou so much!!! I think this may just be her!

Comment

Working...
                X