Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still cannot find this marriage

I would appreciate any help
    on 1911 John Rose age 39 with wife Agnes (nee) Webb age 27 born Walthamstowe married 8 years
    First child Thomas aged 6 born in Seven Kings Essex last child Josephine age 1 born Hackney
    Cannot find a likely marriage any ideas thanks .

Was she Agnes Maud, do you know?

John Rose marries and Agnes Maud McDonald in Kensington
    Last edited by Jessbowbag; 30-07-09, 21:22.
    Jess

Comment

hi and thanks Jess she is only Agnes on the census records have found a birth for a Agnes Webb 1884 Walthamstowe which Im sure is her??? going to send for that but I just cannot pin down a marriage

Comment

If the date for the marriage Jess has found ties up (1903 or thereabouts) I'd take a flier on it. Middle names often get left off or mangled in census returns.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

yes Uncle John but her surname was Webb according to one of her childrens birth certs ?? I only managed to find that because its Rudolph quite an unusual name cannot find the other childrens births though ?? well at least not definites.

Comment

Sorry - missed that! Possible multiple marriages, or do I have Heir Hunters on the brain?
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

have you searched Seax - Search Seax ?
              Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Uncle John I keep missing that wish it was on later
                Jean thanks for that link but I just cant fathom out how to search it

Comment

try this link - its for images.
                  put marriage registers in search criteria and dates in boxes. that will list you all marriage registers.
                  I have just put in marriage registers barking 1900-1910 to see whats there
                  Seax - Search Seax
                  Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

click on the photo frame, then on the image on right hand side. you can view each page - its a bit laborious (sp)
                    Jean

Comment

thanks Jean

Comment

Births Dec 1909

Rose Josephine Beatrice Hackney 1b 382
                        Jess

Comment

thanks Jess will send for that still cant find the marriage though and I'm sure they would have married as his family were quite strict Jews.

Comment

Val

We know from another thread on here that Jewish people had completely different views on marriage from those of the non-Jewish people.

For a Jewish marriage to be recognised (amongst Jewish people) all that has to happen is that the bride receives a written scroll from her husband which sets out his duties and obligations to her. The groom also needs to give the bride a ring with a known value.

There does not have to be any ceremony at all, nor any witnesses,nor does the marriage HAVE to be recorded at Synagogue but the bride must display her marriage scroll in her home.

In practice, we have found that most Jewish people went through a proper religious ceremony for their first marriage, which was recorded and reported to the GRO. In the family we are studying, the second and third marriages are not recorded anywhere, even though the families involved were practising Jews. As long as the Jewish law on marriage was observed, then all the family would be perfectly happy about it.

It may be that either he or she was married before and therefore the second marriage was purely a Jewish religious marriage and will not be recorded anywhere you can get at!

OC

Comment

Hi and thanks OC very enlightening ,trouble is his siblings all married twice ! once in a Synagogue and once in a Church a few years apart dont know why ?? I have even sent for their marriage contracts at The Beth Din hoping to get more understanding , so find it hard to believe this Son didnt marry.
                              Maybe have to accept he didnt ?? thanks again.

Comment

Val

Oooh, that's interesting - did you manage to get copies of the marriage contracts and what did you have to prove to get them?

OC

Comment

if you go online OC you can search for them then order them online they arent cheap though but very enlightening they show quite a bit of info and you dont have to prove anything United Synagogue - Support Services - Find Your Family - Marriage Records

Comment

Thankyou very much for that Val..you may have helped to crack a brick wall!

OC

Comment

they have burials on there too.

Comment

Hi,
                                        Is it possible that Agnes was a widow when she marriad John. Webb would have been her maiden name for the Birth certs but she would have used her married name on the marriage cert. The entry would read Agnes late 'whatever the name was' formerly Webb
                                        Emeltee

Comment

Working...
                                        X