Hampshire lookup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hampshire lookup

I have been trying to find details of Ann Hannah Cotton or Cotten b. between 1797-1804 in Soberton Hampshire. I have tried the Parish records, but the copies were extremely difficult to read. Can anyone help please.

Thanks

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Have you looked at the original copies / fiche?
    Maybe the Bishop's Transcripts, if they've survived will be clearer.

Records will be in Winchester at the Record Office.

Comment

I was at the record office today, so am now a little cross eyed from looking at microfiches -unfortunately a lot of them were practically illegible.I don't know if another place might have clearer copies. Would they hold copies at Kew?
      Linda

Comment

Have you looked at the transcribed books of parish records in Winchester?
        I can't remember if they have one for Soberton there.

They probably have the original registers there too. If you explain your problem, ...show staff the fiche... perhaps you could view the original book.

Comment

Unfortunately I wont be back again for some time, but will keep your suggestion in mind.

Thanks
          Linda
          Linda

Comment

If you know which register the entry was in, perhaps the RO might be willing to have a look for you.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I have the Bishop's Transcripts of BMD's for Hampshire, transcribed by R Hackman on CD.

I have trawled through every page of Soberton from 1780 to 1812 and can only find the following entries that relate to a COTTEN/COTTON.

John baptised 8/3/1807 - mother Ann Cotten.

Ann Cotten married John Daniels 31/3/1807

William baptised 11/6/1809 - parents John and Ann Daniels

Frances baptised 24/11/1811 - parents John and Ann Daniels.

There are no other Cotten families listed in Soberton for this period.
              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I have the Parish Record Transcriptions by R.Cook on CDR for Soberton and can confirm the surname only ever appears once in the baptisms, for the same John that Wendy gives above:

1807 08-Mar, John, son of Ann Collen or Cotten "illegitimate".

Comment

Oh well, back to the drawing board then -unfortunately I don't think the one mentioned in the transcripts is mine, as she would be too old. According to the censuses from 1841 -1871 Hannah put her place of birth as Soberton, but in 1881 it is Ropley. She was married in 1823 to Edmund Norgate in Kilminster, both otp. Thanks for your help.

Linda
                  Linda

Comment

Is there anything useful on Knightroots (the Hants OPC site)?

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Haven't tried that one - will have a look, thanks

Linda
                      Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                        Oh well, back to the drawing board then -unfortunately I don't think the one mentioned in the transcripts is mine, as she would be too old. According to the censuses from 1841 -1871 Hannah put her place of birth as Soberton, but in 1881 it is Ropley. She was married in 1823 to Edmund Norgate in Kilminster, both otp. Thanks for your help.

Linda
                        Hi, I'm new to this site & noticed your entry. I'm helping a friend trace her UK family history & we've gone as far back as Edmund NORGATE who m. Hannah (Ann) COTTON. My friend is descended from their daughter Frances (Fanny) who m. William HOPKINS. Did yu get anywhere with tracing Ann please? Peggy in Oz.

Comment

Hi Peggy, welcome to the forum. You have great timing, as I have just managed to sort out Ann Cottons parents - they were William Cotton and Mary, and she was born in Soberton on 16 Oct 1801 and christened in Ropley on 7 Mar 1802, along with her twin sister Jane. I have lots more information on the Norgates, if your friend wants to PM me. I would love to talk to her as this is the first connection I have to the Norgates.

Linda
                          Linda

Comment

You can get lucky sometimes... thank you Linda. Merle doesn't know yet about this line as I have been working on it at home.
                            Does PM=personal mail? I've constructed a NORGATE tree in Word format from my research & it includes WINDEBANK & LOVELOCKE brides & maybe a WALTON. Does this tie in with your stuff? I's love to exchange info.
                            Peggy

Comment

Hi Peggy, PM is private message. If you click on my name in the above post then on the Private Message icon, it will take you to the board, and we can exchange more info. I have rather a large tree with a number of Norgates, and I do have the names Windebank and Lovelocke, but not yet a Walton, however there is still plenty of time. I am lucky to live quite close to Ropley where the Norgates used to live and I managed to go round the churchyard recently and I now have a photo of Edmund and Ann's gravestone, if your friend is interested. By the way, I am descended from Edmund and Ann's son Charles, and I actually also come from Australia originally!

Linda
                              Linda

Comment

Working...
                              X