National Burial Index any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Burial Index any good?

I was thinking of buying the 4 CD's of the National Burial Index, but it would appear it is just that an index. My particular interest is Birmingham and perhaps Worcestershire. Has anyone bought it and found it to be a good tool for the money about £35?
    Many thanks

Chris Vearncombe

If there are only 4 CDs to the set then I think it will probably be version 1.
    Version 2 contains 16 discs.

Is it worth it? Well it depends if it covers the areas you are interested in. The following link gives coverage of the version 2 discs -
    FFHS - Projects - NBI coverage
    Click on the county names to see which parishes and time periods are included.

The majority of the NBI is now available on FindmyPast which you can access with either a subscription or pay per view credits. As the set of 16 discs costs something in the region of 40-45 pounds I think you would be a lot better off buying some credits on FMP instead!
    Elaine

Comment

Nbi

Many thanks Elaine, it did say version 2 but definately only 4 CD's. I will look at the FFHS site before I think about forking out. Also I did not realise I could view it for credits on Findmypast. So thanks for the advice it was really helpful
      Regards

Chris

Comment

Ignore me! Yes the NBI is 4 discs - I was thinking of the BIVRI which is 16 discs.

I blame it on the weather - it´s hot hot hot! ;)

I would still go with FMP - you can do a lot of lookups for 35-40 pounds.
        Elaine

Comment

NBI is also free to look at in various archives too.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I read somewhere that there will be a new edition out sometime shortly.

Margaret
            Margaret

Comment

I think the original plan was to update on a three year cycle, which meant version 3 should have been made available mid 2007!
              Elaine

Comment

Working...
              X