Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplicate ancestor lines/ large chart problems FTM 2009

Hi
    Am new to FTM. Have successfully created family tree but a couple of problems:
    1) Duplicate ancestor lines - I am descended from one man via two sons from one marriage and one son from another marriage - duplicate ancestor lines abound! Have ordered Charting Companion with Smart Cousin hoping this might help but - any ideas anyone?
    2) I'd like to use FTM Pedigree Chart in the poster format because it gives birth, marriage and death dates (which the ancestor tree doesn't) but it won't produce a chart further than 15 generations back and I go back 52 generations(!) - again, any ideas please?
    Many thanks, Mari

Welcome to Family Tree Forum.

It's always a problem when you have duplicate ancestors.
    The 2006 version allows you to include duplicate ancestors each time they appear - or not to include if you prefer it that way. I cannot see an option for this in 2009.

You say you go back 52 generations .... that's a long way!

Re the ancestor tree in FTM2009 not allowing you to you include BMD details - what do you mean by an ancestor tree in the 2009 version - are you referring to the FTM vertical pedigree chart, in which case you can include info other than just names.

I'm not sure about your comment that 15 generations is the maximum. I can just manage 16 generations on my tree and on a quick comparison between a 15 generation chart and a 16 generation one, it does seem to have picked up the extra generation.
    Elaine

Comment

Duplicate ancestor lines/ chart problems FTM 2009

Hi Elaine
      Thanks for your reply! - yes I am using the vertical pedigree chart to make a wall poster but can't find how to make it include dates - further help would be great!
      Good to know I'm wasting my time trying to use the programme to eradicate duplicate ancestor lines. I've ordered Charting Companion with Smart Cousin hoping it may help - if not I plan to detach and reattach to a single ancestor thread - fingers crossed!
      Yes 52 generations is a lot, the thing with Welsh ancestry is there weren't many people about so providing you can find the link in, you're away, there are good records of trees (kinship is big around here) and the Welsh princes (tribal leaders in practice) married a lot, into old age (one of mine married 6 times, numerous children, doubtless why the wives died young) and also married for dynastic reasons, so I am also descended from the Plantagenets, the old Scottish kings, the old British kings etc. All good fun!
      Good hunting everyone ;)

Comment

Adding dates to vertical pedigree chart FTM 2009

Hi again
        Oops! - have discovered how you customise the vertical pedigree chart to show dates and other facts (for any other newbies like me, you click on the first of the customising icons on the right hand side of the chart, it says you are including names as is, click on the + button on the right to see the list of other additional facts you can include, add whichever you want).

Comment

Was just coming back to give you some instructions - had to go and look at my other computer as I don´t have it installed on this machine!
          Glad you found out how to do it.

I´ve got Charting Companion but ashamed to say I have never used it!
          Elaine

Comment

Working...
          X