Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last will and testament

Hello all

An ancestor of mine by the name of John Edward Harriott left in his will money to each of his siblings, the will was written out in 1855 and he died in 1858.
    In his will he leaves money to his sister Christiana Cox (My link to him) his brother Robert, his sister Elisabeth and his sister Sophia Ellice.
    Now John was living in Canada but the rest were meant to be in England. However I cannot find any Sophia Ellice on the census or even some marriage for a Sophia Harriott to an Ellice.
    Sophia was born in Southwark, Surrey between 1802 and 1816 (sorry not much help.

Any help finding any record on her would be fantastic.

Danny
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

I don't know if this helps, but I've found an entry in Pallott's marriage index that Sophia Harriott marries a "Robt Ellis" in 1826 in the parish of St Stephen Coleman. Do you have access to Ancestry? If not, and you want a copy of this PM me.

Perhaps the key is the change of spelling of Ellice/Ellis?

I've had a quick and perfunctory search of the 1841 census and haven't yet found a Robert and Sophia Ellis together, but I've run out of time and have to go and do something else - sorry!

Hope this helps, anyway,

Belinda
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Robert Ellis Cook 40 Bristol Glos
      Sophia Ellis 40 Moldon Essex
      Charles Ellis 12 Middlesex St James

Living Malborough Court Middlesex St James
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Thankyou Sal and Lin

That looks very promising and I bet it is my ancestors marriage.
        Do you happen to know how I may know for sure if its them?

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by quiffdo View Post
          Thankyou Sal and Lin

That looks very promising and I bet it is my ancestors marriage.
          Do you happen to know how I may know for sure if its them?

Danny
          I think it's difficult to prove that they're the right people, but this combination of names can't be a common one and the balance of probability is that this is them.

If you go through the censuses looking for a Robert Ellis, married to Sophia, born in the right area, in around the right year, and you don't find any other matches then you can be reasonably sure. But it's a lot of work!

For myself, if I'm dealing with unusual names I tend to settle for the balance of probability. But since a lot of my ancestors are called Smith and Brown, this is rarely the case!

I've emailed the image of the pallots entry to you.
          Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Thankyou for the email Sal

The marriage is the correct one as I have found Sophia on the census and on the IGI ant the names she had called her kids are strictly family names every single one of them.

Danny

Comment

Good!

Comment

Working...
              X