Suffolk RO Lookups - Results (some)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suffolk RO Lookups - Results (some)

Having been in Lowestoft for a week & finding some time on my hands, I decided to get cracking on the look-ups. If anyone has any follow-ups, add to this thread as I'm off again on Monday.

kylejustin if you can, would you be able to look for a marriage in eye, for james dove to a hannah? it would be around 1800, the igi has 3 kids for them anne b.1805, elizabeth b.1811, and jesse b.1814.

Sorry Kyle, no marriage for James & Hannah but it would appear that James was a widower when he married Hannah.
    James DOVE sotp Mary COE sotp Banns 16/4/1788 Wit: Henry KEEN Robert SHEPPARD.
    No children baptised.
    Buried Mary DOVE wife of James 9/1/1798
    In addition to the children you have:
    Hannah 1801
    Joseph 1801
    Dinah 1808-1809
    Jesse’s baptism records James as a farmer.
    No baptism for James & no deaths other than previously mentioned through until 1845.
    Glen

Sherbertrose Please could you look to see if you can find any information on Sophia Blundell. She was born or baptised on 14 Feb 1799 Rattlesden, Suffolk. I think there is a possibility that her parents were George Blundell and Elizabeth Newman. But, I am by no means sure. She married James Codd in 1825.

Yes Sandra, Sophia BLUNDELL was born & baptised 14/2/1799 & rec’d into the church at Rattlesden 20/5/1799 Parents George BLUNDELL & Elizabeth NEWMAN.
    Marriage, Rattlesden: George BLUNDELL sotp Elizabeth NEWMAN sotp Banns 14/10/1793
    Wit: Robert BITTON Mary JACKSON. Only the men signed.
    Probably have this: Sophia CODD buried Rushmere St Andrew 10/6/1873 74yrs
    Glen

Comment

Little Nell

Can't do yours until Monday.
      Glen

Comment

Richard If you have the time for a marriage look up while there
        James Pitchers and Frances Lydamore 1841 Ringsfield, All Saints Suffolk
        The details on the marriage entry on the Fiche would be much appreciated.

No marriage in Ringsfield, nor Beccles, Redisham or Weston, Richard – that leaves 24 other possibilities. Will give those a go next time.
        James PITCHERS buried Ringsfield 9/3/1881 63 yrs.
        There are some other PITCHERS records but I don’t want to list them all if they are not relevant. Let me know if there is anyone else you are interested in.
        Glen

Comment

Lin Fisher Last time you went you looked up the bap of John Baldry 1793 in Horham for me. I would be really greatful if you could possible look for his parents marriage. John Fisher Baldry and Rose Wretts or Wroots in Horham.
          Also I think there might be a daughter of the marriage called Harriet. If you are busy the marriage will be really helpful.
          From the info you found last time for me I have got Rose's death cert and John Fishers Will.

No marriage in Horham Lin nor Worlingworth. I checked the latter as another BALDRY marrying in Horham was ‘of’ there. Other children baptised privately:
          Rose 2/9/1794
          William 4/3/1796
          Eliza 19/1/1798
          Harriett 27/5/1798?
          Elizabeth 26/6/1799
          Tabitha bapt. 16/5/1802 bur.30/6/1802
          Simon born 29/11/1803 bapt. priv. 30/11/1803 bur.12/12/1803
          Mariann born 1/5/1806 bapt. priv. 11/5/1806 rec'd into church 5/2/1809
          Joshua born 11/10/1808 bapt. priv. 14/10/1808 rec'd into church 5/2/1809

You say you have his will so you probably have this:
          John Fisher BALDRY married man 42 yrs 14/3/1812 (bur.)

Rose’s surname evolved from WROTTS to WROOTS after about 1800.
          Glen

Comment

jenoco You very helpfully did a look-up for me last time you went. I have another Suffolk request:
            baptism of Matthew Balls bc 1811, Wrentham, Suffolk (and if he's there, possibly any siblings if you have time). Jenny

There was a gap 1810-1813 in the Wrentham baptisms but there were 2 families producing children at that time; Samuel BALLS & Martha HOWE & William BALLS & Rebecca. Do they sound familiar? I’ll try the BTs next week.
            Glen

Comment

Geoff Devon OK. Please could you have a brief look for the marriage of and baptisms of children of William Matthew Woodley, brewer/corn factor and Charlotte Augusta nee Meadows (or De Medewe).
              I believe (from newspaper article) they married May 1839 Melton, Woodbridge, Suffolk and had at LEAST three, but probably more, children, as so many seem to die young:
              William Meadows Woodley b23/8/1841 (Melton or) Witnesham
              Charlotte Augusta Woodley b~Nov 1843 Melton
              Frank (or Francis?) Sydney Arthur Woodley b~Jun 1845 Southwold
              In 1841 census they are visiting Hornsey, Middlesex with no children with them and 1851 census they are living at East Green, Southwold. They went on to emigrate to Australia in October 1853.

The details Geoff are basically as you have them.
              1/5/1839 Melton by Licence William Matthew WOODLEY FA B Gentleman Hampstead Middx William Corn Factor Charlotte Augusta MEADOWS FA S Melton Philip Clerk Wit: Sydney Manvers MEADOWS Elizabeth Jane ? George Frederick MEADOWS. All signed & the officiating minister was J B MEADOWS
              William Meadows WOODLEY William Matthew/Charlotte Witnesham Gentleman 26/9/1841
              Charlotte Augusta WOODLEY William Matthew/Charlotte Augusta Melton Gent 29/11/1843
              Frank WOODLEY William Matthew/Charlotte Augusta Southwold Brewer 27/8/1845
              There were no more children. I have found details of a couple of documents – a Sales Catalogue & bequest from Selma for the upkeep of the WOODLEY grave. I’ll have a look at those next week.
              Glen

Comment

JayG Please can you check out this marriage John Turner & Sophia Hagit 25/8/1831 AllSaints, Darsham Jay

Darsham All Saints 25/8/1831 by Banns
                John TURNER botp Sophia HAGIT sotp Wit: Mary Ann BROWN Thomas HILL Curate: Samuel Blois TURNER The men signed.
                Glen

Comment

Debbie Could you look for a marriage for a George Webb and Sarah Wilson married about 1875-79, and a birth for George Webb born abt 1851 in Beckrow, Suffolk.

The WILSONs didn’t baptise any children in the parish church –they may have been Non-Con but if you are sure this is the child you want, then here is the parent’s marriage.
                  Aldringham-cum-Thorpe 12/10/1852 by Banns
                  DanielnWILSON FA B Labourer Thorpe Robert -----
                  Louisa HARLING FA S Thorpe John -----
                  Wit: John HARDING (HARLING?) Sarah ELLENGER? –really not sure about that one.

I also looked for George WEBB in Mildenhall, the nearest parish to Beck Row but nothing.
                  Glen

Comment

Thanks very much Glen. Looking forward to anything you find about the graves...
                    Please let me know if there is anything I can lookup for you in Devon.
                    Geoff.
                    Woodcock(Dudley...Worcestershire Broseley...Shropshire) Woodley & Allen(Herts/Essex/London/Kent/Surrey... & NSW/Vic/Queensland... AUS) and MANY, MANY more...!

Sherlock always gets a result

Comment

MalcolmES If you have time could you look for a marriage between Jane Simper 1790 and George Goldsmith Abt. 1799 in Pakenham?
                      Jane had an illegitimate child George Simper born Oct 1824 in Pakenham, Suffolk and George Goldsmith is named as the father.
                      I have been told that George and Jane later married but I have not found any record of the marriage.

As you say George's baptism shows his parents were George GOLDSMITH of Ixworth & Jane SIMPER of Pakenham.

George GOLDSMITH marries Sarah HURRELL in 1831. They are living in Whepstead in 1851
                      Jane SIMPER is buried in Pakenham 18/10/1838 48 yrs
                      Jane SIMPER Thomas/Sarah (ROBINSON) born 8/9/1790 bapt. 19/9/1790
                      Thomas SIMPER bur. Pakenham 12/9/1830 77yrs
                      Sarah SIMPER bur. Pakenham 3/12/1845 86yrs

When I returned home, I was looking at the Battisford PRs for something completely unconnected & found:
                      5/4/1779 Thomas SIMPER Sarah ROBINSON.

This would appear to be the correct marriage as they baptise a Thomas the same year before continuing in Pakenham in 1782. There may have been a couple elsewhere in between.

There appears to have been some toing & froing between the parishes as a Thomas is baptised in Pakenham in 1756 to Thomas & Lydia. Thomas SIMPER marries Lydia MARKWELL in Battisford in 1755 & go on to baptise 4 more children there between 1758-68.

Hope this was information you wanted. Why can't I find this sort of thing for my own families? LOL

ORDER
                      For the REMOVAL of Sarah Simper, wife of Thomas Simper, junr., of Pakenham, and Thomas their son, now inhabiting the parish of Battisford. November 16. [Suffolk, Bury St Edmunds, PAKENHAM PARISH RECORDS]
                      These documents are held at: Suffolk Record Office, Bury St Edmunds Branch

ORDER
                      For the REMOVAL of Thomas Simper, labourer, Lydia his wife, Lydia their daughter aged 21 yrs, and Poll their daughter aged 8 yrs, of Pakenham, now inhabiting the parish of Barking. May 7. [Suffolk, Bury St Edmunds, PAKENHAM PARISH RECORDS]
                      These documents are held at: Suffolk Record Office, Bury St Edmunds Branch
                      Last edited by Oakum Picker; 31-07-09, 22:29. Reason: More info.
                      Glen

Comment

Glen

Thanks a lot for the look up. I didn't have his actual death or burial so much appreciated also didn't have any other of his children

If you have any more time could you please see if the marriage was in Wilby. John Fisher Baldry and Rose Wroots.

Also I have Rose Wroots (1770) and Sarah Wroots (1777) in my tree and on the admon of J F Baldry the executor was Samuel Clutton and he had married Mary Wroots (the marriage was 1801 but don't know when she was born). I am convinced they are all sisters. Could you possibly look to see if they were baptised in Wilby.

Do other peoples first as I have already had a look up.

Thanks so much for this kind offer. It is really appreciated as I am in Derbyshire.
                        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Jen~Ealogy my 3x ggrandfather William Chandler was born Leiston Suffolk about 1805.I have not been able to find a trace of him or his family. If you have any time to spare, anything you could turn up would be a great help....Mother, Father, sibs etc

William CHANDLER Jonathan/Elizabeth(WHITE) priv. 24/12/1804
                          Sarah CHANDLER Jonathan/Elizabeth(WHITE) priv. 21/1/1803
                          John CHANDLER Jonathan/Elizabeth(WHITE) 18/1/1801
                          Mary CHANDLER Jonathan/Elizabeth(WHITE) 17/2/1799

Jonathan CHANDLER sotp Elizabeth WHITE sotp Banns 10/10/1792
                          Wit: Robert GILDERSLEEVE Peter CHANDLER Only Robert signed

Jonathan CHANDLER bur 4/4/1814 51yrs husband Leiston
                          Elizabeth CHANDLER bur 31/10/1845 71 yrs Leiston

The IGI has a Jonathan baptised at Cratfield in 1762 which looks promising as there were no earlier CHANDLERs or WHITEs in Leiston. He also has a brother Peter.
                          Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
                            Debbie Could you look for a marriage for a George Webb and Sarah Wilson married about 1875-79, and a birth for George Webb born abt 1851 in Beckrow, Suffolk.

The WILSONs didn’t baptise any children in the parish church –they may have been Non-Con but if you are sure this is the child you want, then here is the parent’s marriage.
                            Aldringham-cum-Thorpe 12/10/1852 by Banns
                            DanielnWILSON FA B Labourer Thorpe Robert -----
                            Louisa HARLING FA S Thorpe John -----
                            Wit: John HARDING (HARLING?) Sarah ELLENGER? –really not sure about that one.

I also looked for George WEBB in Mildenhall, the nearest parish to Beck Row but nothing.
                            Thank you very much for looking for me, I really appreciate it.

Comment

Hi Glen,

Thank you so much for the information. The parents for Sophia were pure guess work based on possibility - source igi, so it is so nice to have this confirmed. In addition I did not have their marriage detaails as I was wary of assuming too much about George and Elizabeth being Sophia's parents. Further, I did not have Sophia's death either.

If you have time would it be possible to see if there were any more siblings? igi shows Mary Blundell born 29 Jan 1796 baptised 6 Apr 1796 but I would have expected more than two siblings, particularly as George and Elizabeth married in 1793. And, Baptisms for George and Elizabeth c1770 give or take 5 years?

Many thanks,

Sandra
                              Last edited by Sherbertrose; 30-07-09, 16:35.

Comment

Glen this looks very promising, I can't thank you enough. All the names appear to fit, as my William named one of his sons Jonathan and his other son Charles.......It may also have solved another mystery for me too. As I have not yet been able to find Williams sons Jonathan and Charles after 1860 but I did find a death for a Charles Peter Chandler, so now thinking he could possibly be mine too.
                                Many thanks Glen.
                                Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

Kat
                                  I'm looking to find the parents (and their marriage if possible) of John Paternoster b Hollesley, Suffolk. Censuses give his bd as 1778 and 1781 but his wife Sarah was born 1774 so I'm looking for a birth from 1770 - 1781 perhaps.

I am led to believe from several trees of other people that his parents were Robert Pasternoster and Jemima Flower but there are no sources.
                                  Jemima was evidently b 1746 Sudbury, Suffolk but Robert b 1760 ??? 14 years difference in ages? again no sources.

Kat, I've put you on here so all requests are in one place. Not good news. The only baptisms are those on the IGI. Nothing for John or Robert - nor marriage for latter. The burial record shows Jemima to be the wife of Robert & maiden name FLOWERS so definitely her. Obviously without a baptism for John you can't be certain of his parents but as John calls a daughter Jemima it does look promising & they are the only family in Hollesley.

There is a Mary FLOWER & also a Mary PATERNOSTER buried in 1784. Perhaps Robert & Jemima with widowed mothers & other children including John as a young child arrived in Hollesley c. 1782. Having grown up in Hollesley he probably thought he was born there.

I didn't have time to look for Jemima's baptism so I'll do that next week. Is there anywhere else you would like me to look for the PATERNOSTERs? There seem to be some in Ramsholt!!
                                  Last edited by Oakum Picker; 30-07-09, 16:16. Reason: Incomplete post -computer playing up.
                                  Glen

Comment

Tom Tom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Glen,

I do not know whether or not your offer of look-ups at Suffolk Records Office is still open, but if it is, would it be possible to please have transcripts of the following marriages?

William Kemp married Martha Weller, 29th September 1744.

Jonas Kemp married Sarah Raffell, 18th October 1774.

Martha Kemp married James King, 10th July 1796.

All of these marriages took place at St Matthew's Church, Ipswich.

Hope you don't mind me asking,

Thanks,

Tom

Tom I've moved you for same reason as above. Will certainly look at those for you.
                                    Glen

Comment

Hi again Glen,

Was there a possible church/parish, recorded for the baptisms of the Chandler's and/or the marriage of Jonathan & Elizabeth please?
                                      Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

Sorry Jen,

I knew where I was. LOL. All events occurred in Leiston.
                                        Glen

Comment

Working...
                                        X