Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry

Has anyone else noticed.

Have just been on and it immediately shows the historical records that other members have added to our mutual rellies in their tree.

Also really weird trying to view a census image!!!

Not sure I like it.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

I'm not remotely interested in who those people - I don't even know who they are! - have been investigating.

The census image page can be opened up sideways and lengthways and it seems to stay like that. Why do they think we want all that extraneous stuff :(

Anne

Comment

Oh gosh - I have just checked a census image and see what you mean.
      Really strange.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I tried it through FTM - not sure if I like the census images or not

Will see what else they have up their sleeve - am sure there will be something

Comment

It's all just too "busy"

Comment

If you click on "See more activity" next to Member Connect Activity, you can untick all the Activity Types you don't want to see.
            Sarah

Comment

There is a button on the far left "Maximise Image" if you click that then all the other stuff goes away.

They are going to add even more stuff to it soon. There will be a window that tell you who else has saved this image and who else is researching this person.

Link to the Ancestry Blog

Mary M

Comment

Yesterday evening it was just the 1871 census that was in the new style for me.

I hope there is somewhere you can change it so that you can go back to the old style of viewing.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Well the 1901 census is still the same for me. Which is looking good.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

I've just realised it is now possible to correct mistranscriptions of places on Ancestry, and not just names anymore.
                    Not sure how long the corrections will take to come up in a search though, if at all.
                    Sarah

Comment

Just logged into my ancestry account to have a look after reading this thread. That new screen on the 1871 census is horrible! It makes the image really small ( I know I can zoom, but that takes extra clicks) and I really don't need a side-bar filled with nonsense, especially on names like Jones that produces masses of links which are useless.

I shall be making ancestry aware of my dislike of even more pointless changes...

Comment

Just click on Maximize Image (upper left corner), as Mary M posted in post #8, and the census image window will go back to normal size again.
                        There's quite an interesting discussion about the changes on the blog Mary mentioned as well: http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2...page/#comments

I quite like the new features on the census image page, especially the ability to add corrections in the Ancestry Index at the bottom of the page, and to view the source information on the right (saves having to click back to the Index page for the source information and corrections).
                        Last edited by Cloggie; 30-07-09, 20:22.
                        Sarah

Comment

I untick all the boxes but there is no save box.
                          When I go back to home they, the ticks, are all back again.
                          What am I doing wrong?
                          If it's to be, it's up to me.
                          Searching for:
                          English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

I see what you mean Jeanie. I could have sworn it had disappeared for me before when I went back to Home. But now it's come back.
                            I've found another way though. If you click on Customise Your Homepage, there's a little rubbish bin next to Recent Member Connect Activity. If you click on the little rubbish bin, it will remove the Member Connect Activity widget from your homepage.
                            Sarah

Comment

Thanks Sarah, Have done it.
                              Last edited by Jeanie with one n.; 30-07-09, 23:17.
                              If it's to be, it's up to me.
                              Searching for:
                              English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

Working...
                              X