Help with dating an old family photograph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with dating an old family photograph

Hi all - I've been sent over here from another forum, you come highly recommended ;)

I'm trying to identify a date (and hopefully from there the individuals pictured) for the Fromelles project for the MOD

The picture is a family group centred around my g-g-grand parents (seated) who were born in 1858/59

Also any suggestions as to what the occasion might be? They were not a well-to-do family (game keeper & farm labourers) and appear to be wearing button holes an d their Sunday best.

Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited by Orlandobelle; 29-07-09, 20:39.

Two of the lads on the family photo also appear on this photograph - they were born in 1891 & 1893

Fromelles Project

Comment

20 years wedding anniversary?

Comment

I would suggest a date line of between 1905 and 1908 for this group study. The hair styles of two women who are seen standing was in fashion throughout the first decade of the 1900's and carried on in parts up until the out break of the 1st ww. By 1909 however it was slowly being replaced by a style known as a side sweep whereby the hair had a centre parting and the hair that hang down was swept along the side of the head. Another way for dating this study is the hemline of the woman standing in the middle at the back. You can see that it is just off the vamp of her footwear and if it had been higher (just above the ankle level) then it would put the date to being after 1910 as it is at this time that it started to rise even more.

As for the occassion it could be anything from a family gathering to a wedding that they had been guests at or even to something like commemorating a church day (Lady Day or something like that).

If you have not already confirmed the regiments of the two soldiers they are, a corporal in the Welsh Guards (standing) and a private, who had been wounded twice, from the Gloucestershire Regiment.

don

Comment

Excellent - thank you, those dates fit with my initial thoughts.

Albert would have been aged between 8 & 10 at that time - I suspect he is the boy front right next to mum with his twin sister next to dad (front left). That would make the two soldiers in the second picture (Albert's older brothers) the two lads at the far left of the group photograph

It was suggested that the little girl in the middle could be in white due to a christening or 1st communion?

Thanks for the additional information regarding the regiments - I knew Earnest (seated) was in the Glos (as was Albert - the soldier who died at Fromelles) & the information about being wounded twice (the strips on sleeve?) is appreciated

Comment

Welcome to the forum

We have a costume gallery which may also help

Family Tree Forum Costume Gallery - Family Tree Forum

Comment

Hope you don't mind but I took the creases out for you.

Niksmum

Comment

Mind!?

Thank you very much indeed

Comment

first one a wedding they have button holes in.little girls dressed as bridesmaid.early 1900,s.brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
                  X