Lost my Blundells!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost my Blundells!

Please can anyone help me find Harriet and/or her family before 1852.

I have looked for them as Blindells, Blandells, Blondells and Blendells!! ....and other variations too.

Harriet Blundell married in May 1852 in Bethnall Green - of full age - father John Spencer Blundell - a Lint Maker. She was living in B Green also. The witnesses were George and Susannah Blundell. The original index is quite clear.

I have her on all subsequent census living in Limehouse with her husband where she gives her birth place as Bethnall Green or Middlesex. On one Census she is also a Lint Maker.

I have found three baptisms, all on 5 November 1826 (so I have no real idea of their birth dates) at St Dunstan, Stepney - George, Harriet and Edwin - father of all three is John, a Lint Manufacturer and mother Susanna.

On the IGI -and so unconfirmed - I have found two more baptisms with father John Spencer Blundell and mother Susannah. One is Mary born 9 Oct 1816 bap 22 Jan 1817, the other Emma Louisa born 10 Oct 1818 bap 11 Jan 1819. This was at St Leonards, Shoreditch. This puts John and Susannahs birth years at 1798 or before, and they seem to have lived in and around the East End for some time

I can find no trace of this family on 41 or 51 Census and cannot access Pallotts info on Ancestry without upgrading so I have no idea if there are any more children.

Please can I borrow some new eyes for another go at the 41 & 51 Census!!

Thank you.
    Lal x

Mirror,Mirror, on the wall......I am my mother after all!!

When was Harriett born (what age is she on censuses) and what was her address when she married - or does it just say Bethnal green?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I think I may have found them transcribed as Bluman in 1851
      2 Martha St --St Geo in the east
      Susanna widow age 53 lint maker born Spitalfields
      Harriet dau age 25 lint maker born Holloway
      Edwin son age 23 baker journeyman born Bethnal Green
      Moggie

PS surname on image looks like Blundell
      ref Piece 1548 Folio 127 Page 38
      Last edited by maudarby; 29-07-09, 14:34.

Comment

Possible for Emma (age rounded to 25)
        HO107; Piece 667; Book: 8; Civil Parish: St Luke; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 9; Folio: 28; Page: 11; Line: 23

She is working as a shoebinder, address Canning Place, Old Street, Finsbury
        with her is Janes [sic] Blundell aged 20, female, also shoebinder, both born in county.

Comment

well done maudarby!

Comment

There is a Susannah Blundell age 40, occ Lint maker on the 1841 living in St George in the East.
            In the same household is Henry Blundell age 13 (which doesn't seem to fit in with the children's names you have!

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 697; Book: 6; Civil Parish: St George in The East; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 13; Folio: 11; Page: 15; Line: 18; GSU roll: 438812.

- Ancestry.co.uk
            Elaine

Comment

Hi Nell

Thank you for your reply.

Her address at marriage was 7 Globe St, B Green -so was her husbands!

On the Census after her marriage she changes her year of birth - 1832, 1831, 1836, then 1831 again but she was 'of full age' in May 1852 so her birth year has to be before 1831.

Her Baptism in November 1826 ( with no birth date) would seen to mean that she kept her age younger than her husband - when she was probably 5 years older than him!
              Lal x

Comment

Thank you Maudarby and Elaine!

I really must get my nails cut........ it is taking me far too long to type my replies.:D

It never ceases to amaze me how a 'new' look can turn up something so quickly - off for a look now.

thank you.
                Lal x

Comment

I've just found the same Susanna in 1841 as Elaine. The lintmaking seems to fit (though there were probably 1,000s of lintmakers). Without any relationships its hard to know who Henry was, he could have been a nephew for example.

Harriet was probably in service so not living with any family - this makes it much harder to be certain of finding her and I have this prob with some of my ancestors.

PS there;s a baptism on IGI for Henry Blundell, batch C006339 birth 12 May 1826, bapt 04 JUN 1826 St Botolph Without Aldgate, London
                  parents Henry & Mary
                  Last edited by Little Nell; 29-07-09, 14:55.

Comment

I only found the three baptisms today - edwin was news to me!! - and I have found one on 1861 census, married as a baker so that makes the Bluman entry most likely them, with Harrietts dob as 1826 to match the baptism. I had a note on this entry but had noted them as 'Suit makers'.

Off for another look.

Thank you all.
                    Lal x

Comment

Thanks Nell

I have never found anything on IGI before - i will have to take it all abck after today!:D
                      Lal x

Comment

Hi
                        I expect you already have the marriage but if not
                        John Spencer Blundell & Susanna Le Lievre 1809 Limehouse.
                        Moggie

Comment

Hi Moggie

No I do not have that marriage! That's fantastic. Does it say where they married?

All I had up to this morning was given in my first post - after weeks of on and off searching - basically just MC details. I looked today on IGI where I found harrietts baptism, which I then confirmed on Parish registers site and to my surprise got two siblings as well. Then I found the other two baptisms but as the Parish site does not have that church I cannot confirm them.

Before I renewed my Ancestry sub I could get pallots but without upgrading there is quite a lot of stuff I can no longer access , which is why I really appreciate your kind help!

Best wishes
                          Lal x

Comment

Hi
                            It just says Limehouse, no church named. I'm thinking Huguenot here. In 1851 I found a Henry Le Lievre born c 1800 Shoreditch who was a silk weaver.
                            Moggie

PS 9 possible children in the IGI
                            Last edited by maudarby; 29-07-09, 16:00.

Comment

I am wondering about that marriage - if they married 1809 and were still producing babies 23 years later, there must be older siblings to find born between 1809 and the first baptism you found Lal.

Marriage is in Limehouse.

Comment

Wait up! If Susanna is 40 in 1841 even allowing for rounding down of age, she couldn't possibly have married in 1809!

Perhaps that marriage is your John's parents' marriage?

Comment

Thanks Moggie.

Yes I agree she possibly is. I already have Huguenot silk weavers in another branch. How very interesting.

Thank you

Yes Nell you are probably right but I cannot access Ancestry Baptisms.

Will go and have another look at the IGI!...... I may be gone for some while:D

There definitely looks to be something dodgy about the dates - they do seem to be very fluid with their ages though!!
                                  Last edited by Lal; 29-07-09, 15:47.
                                  Lal x

Comment

Hi
                                    Someone on Ancestry has a tree which includes a Susanne Le Lievre born 7th Sep 1791 baptised 2nd Oct 1791 at St Jean French Huguenot Church Spitalfields. Parents Jacques Daniel Le Lievre & Ann Sorel. This fits with her birthplace but not her ages on the census.
                                    Moggie

Comment

fits with being 18 at the time of the Limehouse marriage.

Comment

Yes it does Nell.

On 51 she says she is 53 when she is actually 60. Harriett is correct at 25 - but Edwins age as 23 means that he was baptised two years before he was born!!

I feel that this marriage must be Harrietts parents and Harriett was born when Susanna was 35 years old.

Please can someone remind me of how to find siblings on IGI - its ages since I tried to do that!

Thank you
                                        Lal x

Comment

Working...
                                        X