1911 census - Free Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census - Free Access

Free access to the 1911 census soon to be available at a few selected locations across E&W.
    See TNA.
    Free access to 1911 census across England and Wales | The National Archives

Sadly, none near me.

EDIT:

I've just realised someone posted this news before me. Doh! Sorry to waste and duplicate everyone's time.
    Last edited by keldon; 29-07-09, 16:30.
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

None near me either.:(:(
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Ooooh! I could get to Nottingham!!
      Lynn

Comment

So will you be volunteering then Lynn :D:D

As if you didn't do enough already with all your work on the POW project :p

Anne

Comment

You would have thought releasing them at the National Archives might've been a start... or are they available there and muggins here hasn't realised it??? :-/ Last time I went there you couldn't even access 1911census.co.uk...

Comment

I'm fairly sure you can access it at TNA, Laura. Obviously haven't been down there myself, though!

Anne

Comment

At TNA, Kew, they had a dedicated section on the 1st floor with over 50 computers solely for 1911 census. You had to book in the front lobby and were allocated a specific one-hour slot, a computer number and password to log on.

Once you found a sheet you wanted, a photocopy was 20p. from either of two dedicated printers.

If this system is still running, a tip is to send your copies to the printer during your hour, and then print them off once your hour is up, to save time.

Carol

Comment

The 1911 census is now available totally free on any of the computers at TNA, you don't have to book and can stay on as long as you want. Good quality A3 copies are 20p each.
                :D Carolyn

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                  So will you be volunteering then Lynn :D:D

As if you didn't do enough already with all your work on the POW project :p

Anne
                  Sadly Anne, I am not near enough to do look ups but might be able to get a day there at some point.
                  Lynn

Comment

Just had this reply:D:D

Thank you for your interest in the 1911 census. Free access to the
                    census returns will be available at the Norfolk Record Office within the
                    next month or two. This is an entirely new and exciting project in
                    conjunction with The National Archives and we still have some technical
                    issues to resolve. The launch in Norfolk will be publicized so, if you
                    live locally, keep an eye on the local newspaper, or on our website -
                    Norfolk Record Office

Comment

Originally posted by Carolyn P View Post
                      The 1911 census is now available totally free on any of the computers at TNA, you don't have to book and can stay on as long as you want. Good quality A3 copies are 20p each.
                      Carolyn

Thank you for that info. It will certainly make searching less frantic!

Hope to get there again before too long.

Carol

Comment

Been to the Central library Nottingham today

For those in Nottingham and surrounding areas the 1911 census is now online for free at the Central Library in the City centre. Limited to half hour sessions, and i understand you have to have a Notingham/Nottinghamshire library card to obtain access.

George
                        Researching Drury, Tinley, Watson, Pavier. Mainly Nottinghamshire

Comment

My nearest is Kew

It would be great if they could give you free access at your local
                          library

Clare

Comment

I have posted on the other thread.

I phoned the Tyne Wear Archives this morning to find out when the census would be available there. Apparently in the next few weeks. The peron I spoke to went on to tell me that the Archives had limited credits, and when they were finished that was that. She was also of the opinion that the National Archives have underestimated how popular this service would be.

Her advice to me was to check next week to see what is the situation and to book the computers asap.

Just a warning that this might not be as 'freely available' as we thought.

Anne

Comment

I quote from the paper put up 28th July in the Exeter Records Office, which I have just nabbed for two minutes:

1911 census to be made available at Devon Record Office
                              The Devon Record Office at Exeter will be the archive office providing free access to the 1911 census in the south-west of England

We are working on making the 1911 census available to visitors at the DRO as soon as possible within the next month or two...We will publish the launch date and the procedures ...as soon as these have been finalised.

The 1911 census will NOT be available at the seven locations for an indefinite period. The National Archives is funding a certain number of units of free access to DRO and the other six archives and libraries. Each archive is being provided with an institutional account which works on a credit system....the number of credits being given to each archive is expected, on average usage, to last for one year. However, if there is heavy usage of the new service at the DRO, the free on-line access may not last that long.

The institutional account provided to the DRO will also allow users to download for free other family history records ....held on the Find My Past website...

Before Planning a trip, visitors are urged to contact the relevant institution to find out when the service will be available.

Geoff.
                              Last edited by Geoff Devon; 31-07-09, 14:45.
                              Woodcock(Dudley...Worcestershire Broseley...Shropshire) Woodley & Allen(Herts/Essex/London/Kent/Surrey... & NSW/Vic/Queensland... AUS) and MANY, MANY more...!

Sherlock always gets a result

Comment

Thanks, Geoff, A year's supply of credits may last for a few months anyway.

Anne

Comment

Working...
                                X