X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Annoyed

im using the online wills and probate for victoria:

Index to Wills, Probate and Administration Records 1841-1925

i find rebecca wright. perfect, she left a will. download it. go to the probate profile, it starts to open, but then the site freezes half way through!!!
    not a happy bunny! and it happens every time i try to view the probate.
    any ideas on how to get around it short of ordering the damn thing?

i can't access any wills now. they all pretty much time out. even ones ive seen before.

Comment

Perhaps you should report the problem to the site as it may be something their end which could be easily fixed.
      Margaret

Comment

Just tried it myself and not having any luck. It seems to get stuck on the pdf download.
        Margaret

Comment

i've emailed them, so fingers crossed they can fix it.

Comment

i had a feeling there must be something good in them if it took ages not too materialize!! i got a reply a few minutes ago, the records office have downloaded it successfully, but it took them half an hour!! and it didnt give any indication how long either. they said it was 70 pages!! now i know there's something juicy in there!

Comment

Kyle

the only bit of advice I can give you, is to shut all non essential progs down on the puter and then try downloading. (sometimes when I have alot of things open it hampers the download of other things) praps go and do something else for half an hour or so..
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

good advice, i think i may have too. wonder if there's anything on t.v. tonight.....

Comment

I'm trying to download aswell but it's taking forever lol xx

Researching/ MADGWICK, RAMUS, PONT, MITCHELL, CHAMPION, GOSSLING, VAN STAADEN.

Comment

i wonder if it's they're site. i was having a lot of trouble, specially with wills i had downloaded the day before to test consistency. hope you have better luck.

Comment

I have succeeded but it's only 3 pages lol!! Not sure how to print though....x

Researching/ MADGWICK, RAMUS, PONT, MITCHELL, CHAMPION, GOSSLING, VAN STAADEN.

Comment

well, at least yours worked!! mine says the file is damaged and cant be retrieved. so im having my aunt give it a go. if it doesnt download for her, there is something off with the website.

Comment

There is a note on the webpage saying that they're experiencing heavy traffic and to be prepared for downloads to take a long time.

Are you trying to open the pdf file while it's still on the website? That wouldn't help. Have you tried downloading it first and then opening it? If you can see the link to the file ends .pdf, then right-click on it and select "save target as" (your browser may word it slightly differently.) I hope this helps - apologies if I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs!
                          Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

it opens onto the pdf file, but while there, the screen goes blank. after 20 mins, a message pops up saying it wont work. i cant seem to download the file before i view it.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                              it opens onto the pdf file, but while there, the screen goes blank. after 20 mins, a message pops up saying it wont work. i cant seem to download the file before i view it.
                              Do you want to give me the web address and I'll have a go? (I've got a choice of 3 different browsers I can try with.) If I'm successful I'll mail it to you,
                              Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

thanx sal, the link is this:

Public Record Office Victoria online catalogue

im not sure if it will work, but i hope it does.

Comment

I'm failing too, and I think I've worked out why. The file size is given as over 50,000 KB, that's over 50 Mb - that's HUGE. So huge as to be almost impossible to download. I've downloaded a 360 page book in a pdf file half that size. I think it likely that the Victoria Records Office have scanned this with the resolution set very high, in order provide a high quality image. Unfortunately, the resolution is so high that the document is unusably large. Someone needs to point this out to the VPRO... Sorry I can't be more help.

Comment

its fine. the bit i dont understand is, why can they download it, and no one else can?

Comment

I don't think it can be the same file. I'm not sure how you'd get 3 pages to make up a file bigger than 50mb...

Comment

I've just had another look at the link to the index and there are two files attached to Rebecca Wright. One of them is only 1844Kb.

Comment

Working...
                                        X