tyrying to get info on great grandfather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tyrying to get info on great grandfather

being a beginner at this and on a tight budget not sure best way forward.
    Trying to get info on my great grandfather, Edward Laundy, what have so far is

1891 census, living at 2a York St Southwark age looks like 39 with wife Susannah age 26and 3 children 1 being Ada age 2 (my grandmother) this seems to fit what little I know

1911 census shows him living with his daughter Ada and husband Alfred Geary at what looks like 3 Verbaasa St. his age is 58 and is a widower his occupation hawker, in other census looks like commercial traveler.

looked for birth record of Ada Laundy but could not find, but did find a Ada Smith that fits.
    A marriage dec 1890 St. Saviour his name is shown as Edward Charles Laundy, what cant find is a birth for him that fits, would my best bet be to get that marriage certificate and hope its the right one, or is there another better path.
    My budget is very small so trying to be sure as poss before sending, understand sometimes its just a question of hoping its right, just not sure how much it would tell me, as have little to compare against.

The evidence all seems to be in favour - one of the females listed under the Dec 1890 ref number with Edward is Susannah Smith which explains Ada, born before the marriage, being registered at birth as Smith. I would certainly go for that marriage cert, which would give ages and fathers' names and occupations to help with tracing Edward and Susannah further back.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

That 1890 marriage appears on the Familysearch site and gives his father as Lewis Laundy.
      There is a death (from Free BMD) in Mar 1927 of Edward Charles Laundy in Camberwell dist, aged 82, which gives a birth year of approx. 1845 but no match in the births.
      :D Carolyn

Comment

Hiya Mike and welcome to FTF...
        You state "it looks like 39 " for Edward....Susannah is 25....so I thought maybe it says 29 not 39......found a possible on FreeBMD Home Page
        Edward Laundy b Sep Qtr 1861 Ongar 4a 77...if its him he`s a twin///also
        Joseph Laundy b Sep Qtr 1861 Ongar 4a 77............looks a good possibility to me....good luck...allan;)
        ADDED ..on mapquest its 28 mile from Ongar to Southwark...
        Last edited by garstonite; 28-07-09, 22:43.
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
        oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
        adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
        merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
        coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Thanks for that bit of luck will be correct, will send of for it to hopefully confirm, the birth is a puzzle, not sure of history dates with this is it possible the family Quakers or something similar and would that have any effect on registration

Comment

Bingo Mike...it`s LOUIS not Lewis
            1845 Dec Qtr Louis Cornwell Thomas Laundy .. reg at Bloomsbury..1 51..
            if Edward is the right dob it makes Louis 16 when Edward was born ????..
            Quite a few Cornwell births registered at St Saviours , Southwark so a possible Louis`s mothers maiden name was Cornwell........allan
            Last edited by garstonite; 28-07-09, 23:05.
            Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
            oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
            adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
            merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
            coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

There was a comment on the thread that his father was Lewis - and its possible that this could be his death

Deaths Mar 1851
              LAUNDY Lewis Cornwall Strand 1 356

maybe this is the birth registration for Edward, with the surname misspelt/mistranscribed

Edward Laundry
              1848 Jan-Feb-Mar
              Strand
              Volume: 1
              Page: 397

Probably best to wait for the marriage certificate as it should give you a bit more info!
              Elaine

Comment

.. or maybe not!

If Allan has found a birth in 1845 and I´ve found a death in 1851 then it might be the birth and death of a child!

Wait for the marriage certificate and take it from there.
                Elaine

Comment

Hi
                  I'm not an expert at this but I do have some concerns re Ada (Smith)

I have looked at the original of the 1891 census, the cross goes right through his age so like you say it looks to be 39 but could be 29. His occupation in 1891 is a commercial traveller too.

My concern is that I can find both other childen on FreeBMD b. Islington. I wondered then if it could be a second marriage to Suzannah, but could not find a death for a Laundy. I may be way off target but think may need to do a bit more checking....Sorry

bubblebelle
                  Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Done a bit more delving. There was another Emma Laundy belonging to another family in Islington, but no John there.

I think I have found them in 1901, but now he is listed as Charles Laundy age 41, Susan 40, John15, Emily13, Ada 12, Henry10 and Susan 8. He has his occupation a hawker of ladders. no further clues re birthplace... just London.

However this makes Edward Charles likely. Good luck with the marriage cert.

bubblebelle
                    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Thanks so much for help in this, advice to get cert seems the best way to go.
                      It should I hope give me a bit more to go on.

Comment

Working...
                      X