Guidance Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guidance Please

I have an Arthur Dyer born c 1910 in Kentish Town, London, but note on the 1911 census the place of birth is given as Ascot, and am seeking to track him down as to whether he married and when he died. I already know his parents name as he is my father's brothers.

To enable me to find out further information where do you suggest I go next. I haven no idea whether he married and no idea when he died. I did wonder if I could search the death indexes on ancestry or freebmd but not sure whether I will find what I need as I don't know the area in the country that he went to during his life time.

Any suggestions gratefully received. :D

Do you have his date of birth? as that could help narrow things for searching the death index after 1984 as deaths have the exact birth date too.
    I think that's your best bet really - find the death get the cert and see who the informant was which may show whether he was married or not.
    Margaret

Comment

The birth was registered in the quarter June 2010 but I do not have the exact date. I had not got the birth certificate as was trying to manage without it!

Comment

Can't see an Arthur Dyer born Berkshire in 1910 and I'm not sure where Kentish Town would come in terms of a registration district but that's North London so most likely Middlesex and there's nothing showing for that area.
        Was he not born in the same area as your father?
        Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Gill D View Post
          The birth was registered in the quarter June 2010 but I do not have the exact date. I had not got the birth certificate as was trying to manage without it!
          Have you looked for any deaths after 1984?
          Margaret

Comment

Was he born in Ascot?

Comment

My father and I believe Arthur were born in St Pancras, London which came under Middlesex. The connection with Ascot, is that my grandmother's parents lived at Sunninghill, Surrey which I do not htink is far from Ascot! I have not looked at deaths after 1984.

Comment

I do think the only way you are going to find anything is to establish his exact date of birth and see if he died after 1984. Other than that you have to trawl the death indexes for someone of the right age anywhere in the country.
                Other than that you might not have long to wait before ancestry have transcribed all the deaths as the have done for births and marriages.
                Margaret

Comment

That's quite late for someone b c 1910 in a census. It suggests a March birthday. Otherwise it would have to be one of the births in autumn 1909, I'd have thought:
                  Sep-Q 1910 West Ham - Arthur DYER
                  Dec-Q 1909 Camberwell - William Arthur L DYER (prob b 27 Sep 1909, d Aug 1994, age 84, Hastings & Rother, E Sussex).
                  Mar-Q 1910 Wandsworth - Alan Arthur DYER
                  Jun-Q 1910 St Pancras - Arthur Ernest DYER (possibly the one who d Feb 1999, age 86 in Swansea, and b "29 Sep 1912" - no, I remembered, he'd be Arthur E DYER in the index by then, and he's registered Dec-Q 1912 in Swansea).

Christine
                  Last edited by Christine in Herts; 28-07-09, 18:22. Reason: update to eliminate last suggestion
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I definitely think the last one, Arthur Ernest, although I didn't know that was his middle name. I have just remembered I do have his dob somewhere and am searching my paperwork to confirm this. I will continue my search and come back.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Comment

Kentish Town comes under the Pancras reg. district, so this seems to be the only possible birth:

Births Jun 1910
                      DYER Arthur Ernest Pancras 1b 10

Comment

Just found him in 1911 registered as Arther Dyer. I see they're still living in Kentish Town.

Comment

If it's the household with Walter Arthur DYER as head and with a namesake son, aged 14, the son's service record is on Ancestry - they were living 11 Charlton Rd, Harlesden by October 1915.

On the other hand, I couldn't get an Arthur DYER, b Ascot, in a household with Walter DYER in St Pancras when I tried.

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

No, the father isn't with them, see #12.

Comment

Can anyone find C Ellen DYER in 1901?

... Oh.
                              There's a marriage in Jun-Q 1903 where the names are:
                              DYER Caroline Ellen
                              DYER Henry Thomas
                              GATES Daisy Emma
                              LOADER Herbert

Just looking to see if I can find Herbert, in 1911, with a wife.

Christine

Comment

Well!

In Brentford, there's a Daisy Emma LOADER, 29, with a Herbert plus Betty Daisy aged 3.

Christine

Comment

Back again and still searching for the exact dob. To clarify some of the issues mentioned in the posts.

Arthur was the son of Clara Ellen Dyer nee Woods and the son of David Dyer who died in 1910.

On the 1911 census Clara was a widow and seems to have swopped her name around and become Ellen and is with Arthur and his elder brother Edward. My father, Frederick who was born 1900 for some reason not at home with them in 1911 and I am still searching his whereabouts at that time. There is no connection with Walter Dyer as far as I am aware at this time.

Comment

Arthur's dob was 19 March 1910. I knew I had it somewhere.

Comment

Clara Ellen Dyer is in the 1901 but not at home with her husband but with her parents in Sunninghill, Surrey.

Comment

Arthur was the son of Clara Ellen Dyer nee Woods and the son of David Dyer who died in 1910.

On the 1911 census Clara was a widow and seems to have swopped her name around and become Ellen and is with Arthur and his elder brother Edward. My father, Frederick who was born 1900 for some reason not at home with them in 1911 and I am still searching his whereabouts at that time. There is no connection with Walter Dyer as far as I am aware at this time.
                                        I see the marriage was Dec-Q 1899, in Windsor District - which would tie in with the idea of the Ascot birth.

Of course, the death of David scuppers any idea of using his service record.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                        X