Whitby burial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitby burial

I have found a death for Eiza Jane Readman/Redman my GG Gmother in Dec Q 1894 at Whitby. How would I find out where she was buried?
    Elaine

Researching - Weatherall, Spenceley, Readman, Conquer

Hi Elaine.

By 1894 more and more people were being buried in cemeteries rather than churchyards, so I think the cemetery would be the best place to start.

Some cemeteries are really helpful, but others are not and some will charge you to check their records.

I cannot seem to find a website for the cemetery, but the local records office, library or council should be able to give you the details of the cemetery office.

Tom

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Thanks for your help Tom. It took me ages to find this death as I was looking for Jane Readman rather than Eliza Jane Readman. I have been googling and think it may be Larpool Cemetary with the records being held at Scarborough.

Thanks again
      Elaine

Comment

The RO (which I presume is at Scarborough) will probably have copies of the burials, but the main ones will still be with the council and the cemetery office.

If you get in touch with the council they will be able to put you in touch with the right people. They would then also be able to tell you who was in the same plot and the grave reference.

:D

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

I'll email Scarborough Council to see if they can help.

Many thanks for your help Tom.
          Elaine

Comment

Whitby Group

I am a member of the Whitby Group which is in Yahoo Groups, I have always found them very helpful, the members have lots of useful information. They have helped me out an awful lot, so maybe they would be able to help you find the information you require. You do have to join the group, but as I say they will be very helpful if they can be.

Comment

Did you have any luck Elaine?

Comment

I've found out she was buried at St Mary's Church not Larpool cemetery as I had first thought. I have emailed Scarborough and they said I need to speak to Whitby Church Archives and they gave me their number. I'm going to ring them tomorrow. I have been around the graveyard at St Mary's Church quite a few times and sat on the benches at the top, the view there over Whitby is beautiful. I could never have imagined my G G GMother could have been buried there. I only hope its not one of the graves that went over the cliff .

I am actually a member of the Whitby Group but thought I would ask your advice first.

Thanks again for your help
                Elaine

Comment

Working...
                X