Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you find out which Harriett he married?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you find out which Harriett he married?

This is about a Richard Smith that was born in Capel, Surrey about 1821 and was a shoemaker. His wife was called Harriet and I have found a marriage that could well fit the bill for 1841 in Dorking between a Harriet Powell and Harriet Pullen, which one do you think was his wife, is there a way of telling?

The simplest way is to shell out the £7 for a GRO (or local RO) certificate.

Next choice (or first choice if you can get to the place) is to visit the record office and get a photocopy of the marriage register. If you send for the copy, then the Record Office is obliged (since about a year ago) to certify the copy and charge you £7.

There are some FHS parish register records available on FMP, and some other parish register records (ex BVRI, I think) on Ancestry. What you're after may/not be on either.

You can follow them through the censuses, and hope that one of her family comes to stay on census night and has retained the family name (father, un-remarried mother, brother, spinster sister).

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

or you look on www.familysearch.org and find it was Harriet Powell
      17 MAY 1841 Dorking
      batch M074071

same batch has Harriet Pullen marriage to Thomas Cooper 09 MAY 1841.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thank you Little Nell. As it happens she was Richard's first wife, I am a descendent of his second wife Sarah.

Comment

Working...
        X