Census copyright?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Census copyright?

Apropos of my posting re Devon Archives - I found this interesting because I'm going through the 1841 Census for the village I live in, tabulating the information with a view to outting it on the village website. Does anyone know of any legal implications?

You can replicate the information given in census - the information is already in the public domain.
    Best to devise your own format for presenting this information - I believe it is replication of the original images that could cause problems for you.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Janet - I'm tabulating the info - by household, as in the original - but not the original, if you see what I mean!

Comment

I also think you would be well advised to put something on the page along the lines of

Hang on a minute while I find it in someone's signature :D

Here it is:

Information given in this posting is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk unless otherwise stated

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

No problem at all for those early census (any census up to 1881) the copyright has expired and crown copyright can no longer be claimed.
          Cheers
          Guy
          Last edited by Guy; 27-07-09, 23:52.
          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
            No problem at all for those early census (any census up to 1881) the copyright has expired and crown copyright can no longer be claimed.
            Cheers
            Guy
            Does that also include reproduction of the images as well as transcription?

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
              Tricky - I'd say no. There are separate copyrights for the information and the physical presentation. Althought the actual document may be out of copyright, the image is still copyright of the person/body who made the photo.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

According to the archivist at my local CRO, the images should NOT be reproduced, without permission.
                Transcripts are okay, because the transcriber is devising their own format to record the information.

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

That depends on when the images were produced.
                  Any image available today will probably be taken from microfilms taken in the 50s and later. These microfilms have a later copyright date than the original census enumerator's books (which are out of copyright).

If you had access to the original enumerator's returns and scanned or filmed those then you could publish those scans or films.

Cheers
                  Guy
                  Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                    That depends on when the images were produced.
                    Any image available today will probably be taken from microfilms taken in the 50s and later. These microfilms have a later copyright date than the original census enumerator's books (which are out of copyright).

If you had access to the original enumerator's returns and scanned or filmed those then you could publish those scans or films.

Cheers
                    Guy
                    That is what I was thinking

So its not the actual census its the images that have since been reproduced from them by the NA.

Thanks Guy.

Comment

Working...
                    X