Wills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wills

I am now at a point in my research that I really need access to Parish records and Wills in order to get further back on a number of my branches. I believe that Wills are the most useful in establishing relationships and family members.

I have read the notes on Wiki relating to Wills but my question doesn't seem to be covered ( unless I am being a bit thick!!).

Can wills be accessed at any Records Office or do they have to be in the county of origin for the deceased. Further, I have been given some information which includes a reference number for the will of one of my great ancestors. The will was for land and property in Mount Bures which I believe to be in Essex. However, having looked for the will on Essex Records Office there was no corresponding match. The will was proved in 1809.

I am hoping to go to Doncaster Records office at some point, and as I have a lot of ancestors in this area. I wondering if I might find some useful information in wills here as as well. Another question which springs to mind - was it only relatively wealthy people who made wills or was this common practice.

I realise that I have raised a number of questions, but this really is unknown territory for me.

Many thanks, Sandra

Hi Sandra
    I don't think that Essex will indexes are listed on the SEAX site. What is the reference no that you were given? Did this ancestor have property in places other than Mount Bures i.e a different county?
    Moggie

Comment

Hi Moggie the reference numbers and information were:

Hugh Josselyn - Essex Records Office - ABR25 469 Proved June 1766

Hugh Josselyn - Essex Records Office - ABR30 319 Proved 4 Nov 1809

These were father and son

Sandra

Comment

There are two Hugh Josselyn wills available for download on the National Archives site, the 1809 will and another one in 1853:

Search the archives | The National Archives

You can download them for £3 each. They won't be the original wills with the testators' signatures, but a copy transcribed into a register.

Comment

The National Archives site only has wills proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury up to 1858.

Wills proved elsewhere would normally be in the local Records Office.

Comment

TNA also has the will of Mary Josselyn, widow, of Mount Bures, which went to probate in 1785.

Comment

The SEAX catalogue has a couple of deeds involving Hugh Josselyn:

Seax - Catalogue: D/DJ 20/37 Conveyance (lease and release)
              Seax - Catalogue: D/DJ 20/36 Conveyance (lease and release)

I haven't actually searched the catalogue - these came up on Google.

There are also several hits for the name on Google web search and book search going back to the 1600s.

Comment

Ooh, there's a family tree here:

Visitation of England and Wales Notes - Google Books

Hugh Josselyn born 1691 made a will which was proved in 1766 in the Commissary Court of London (Essex and Herts). There's also a reference to his father's 1712 will.
                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 27-07-09, 20:08.

Comment

This google book snippet suggests that the 1766 and 1809 wills are at Chelmsford:

Wills at Chelmsford (Essex and East Hertfordshire)
                  by Essex Record Office, Frederick George Emmison - Wills - 1958
                  ... Dukes Farm in Roxwell 8 BR 35 1766 Josselyn, Hugh, sen., gent., Mount Bures
                  469 BR 25 1809 Josselyn, Hugh, farmer, Mount Bures 319 BR 30 1824 Joscelyne, ..
                  "josselyn" "mount bures" - Google Books
                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 27-07-09, 20:21.

Comment

Hi Mary,

Thanks for the information.

I was aware of some of the contents of the will, but was wondering what other information might be there which I was not aware of. However, the two Conveyance (lease and release) documents are interesting although I am not sure what it means in idiots terms!! And the book, I think a visit to my local library might be worth a visit to see if I can get hold of a copy.

Once, again many thanks, Sandra

Comment

A lease and release was just a method of selling property:

BRA Guidelines 3

Did you actually contact the Essex Records Office to ask about the wills? You may as well download what you can from TNA, because it's cheaper, but you'll need to get the 1766 and 1712 wills from Essex RO. They'll probably send them for a reasonable charge if you e-mail them.

The Doncaster RO may have wills proved locally, but I'm not very familiar with Yorkshire genealogy - a lot of Yorks stuff seems to be in the Borthwick Institute.

Wills after 1858 can be obtained from the York probate registry for £5 each.

Comment

Hi Mary,

Again thanks for your help, a distant relative has recently sent me information on my Joselyn line and this went back to 1631. Having looked at the book it would seem that the book may take my tree back another few generations. On page 49 there is Thomas Josselyn of little Horkesley, which is consistent with the place of birth for the last known ancestor on this line. If he is my ancestor then the line goes way back - there is even a Mayor of london thrown in for good measure - Sir Ralph Josselyn.

I hope this is proven, I quite like the idea of having nobility or at least someone of note in my tree - its much better than ag labs!!

Sandra

Comment

Goodness, what an interesting family! Have you seen this thread?

RootsWeb: GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Sir Ralph Josselyn, Mayor of London

Comment

I'm looking up probate/admons for wills after 1858 this Friday in London, let me know if there are any you want searching for.

Comment

Hi Mary,

No I had not found the link above, However, what I did find last night was a very comprehensive family tree by the same lady - Lynn Murray, which fits in with the information you found in the google book and the information which I had previously been given.

This is all very exciting considering that this started as a result of someone contacting me on genes last week to see if we had a match - which we did. My gg grandmother and his g grandfather were brother and sister so we share all ancestors prior to their birth.

It never seizes to amaze me just when and where ancestors will turn up.

I will follow up the wills at some point.

Sandra
                              Last edited by Sherbertrose; 28-07-09, 13:32. Reason: addition of website

Comment

Hi Jill,

Thank you so much for the offer. James Josselyn (beware of numerous variations on spelling for example Joslin, Joscelyne, Joselyn, Josselyne) born 1787 died between 1861 and 1865. He shows on the 1861 census living in Greenstead Green Halsted Essex living with his Wife Eliza, sons James, George, Charles and daughters Elizabeth and Susannah.

His wife Eliza remarried in 1865. He was definately left some money by his father so it is quite feasible that he may have left a will. I think that Eliza was his second wife as there was 30+ years between there ages, so it would be wonderful to be able to establish if there were any children named from his first marriage.

Many thanks, Sandra

Comment

Sounds like an interesting one, I'll add it to my list, I generally search for 4 years after death so I'll look from 1861-69.

Comment

This looks like James' death:

Deaths Sep 1862
                                    Josselyn James Halstead 4a 179

If you look at the death duty index on FindmyPast, you should be able to find out whether there actually was a will or admon. You'll need to buy a few credits unless you have a sub.

Comment

Thanks again Mary.

Could I ask if some kind person could check FindmyPast for me to see if there was a will.

Sandra

Comment

just to let you know I've had a quick look but FMP is saying there is a problem on their system so no go at the moment
                                        J

Comment

Working...
                                        X