Can anyone identify this MI verse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone identify this MI verse?

I finally managed to locate the graves of two of my ancestors, and was really pleased to find them next to each other (they died together in a mining accident). However, both headstones had been laid flat on the ground, were grown over with grass and sadly very eroded from being walked on for years.

Through considerable searching I managed to identify the verse on one of them, and fill in the blank words that had been lost over time. The other one is missing quite a lot and no amount of searching is providing any answers. I know it's a long-shot, but I wonder if anyone here can identify the verse from the words I can make out?

What I have is this:

"...sweat th... here watched
    ...Till Chr... wake
    When shall our... rejoice
    To hear our blessed Saviour's voice"

Is seems like it should be something biblical but my knowledge in that area is very scant, so I'm clutching at straws really.

Originally posted by poppybat View Post

What I have is this:

...Till Christ ... wake
    When shall our... rejoice
    It looks like an old hymn, to me!

I have some old hymnbooks - but I'd need to recognise more than that - or know how the first line starts, so I could look it up.

I've slotted in a few letters in blue for the most obvious bit that's likely to be there.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

...Till Christ wake
      When shall our hearts rejoice

Pass carnt think of anything you could do with Bren looking in she might have know
      borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Hmm possible Christine but like you say its that 1st line ;;
        borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

It might be a religious poem. Without some knowledge of how the lettering is spaced, it's hard to guess the metre.

For instance, you'd expect the line "When shall our hearts rejoice" (or "souls", perhaps?) to have another couple of syllables...
          "When shall our something hearts rejoice" ("savèd"? / "rescued"? - both of which go better with "souls").

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It is very similar to one from the cemetery on Worcester Common
            see
            Worcester, Mass - Epitaphs from the Cemetery of Worcester Common

Or in the Old Burial Ground Fairfield, Conneticut
            Sweet is the sleep that here we take,
            Till in Christ Jesus we awake ;
            Then shall our happy souls rejoice,
            To hear our blessed Saviour's voice.

Cheers
            Guy
            Last edited by Guy; 26-07-09, 21:55.
            Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

What's the date of the gravestone, which will give a cut-off date for the verse? And were they C of E or something else?
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Possibly "When shall our HEARTS rejoice"?

Kate x

Comment

Wow - you're all full of good ideas!

The grave is from 1860, in a parish churchyard in South Wales.

It's the middle of the lines that are missing, as if someone removed a big bit of the surface of the grave straight down the center.

Guy - I think that's very very very close!

Comment

I tried to photograph it so I would have a record of the spacing but the photo came out looking like a blank stone :(

I want to go back and make a rubbing of it, see if that helps, but there's about 400 miles between me and the grave :(

Comment

NO, no don't make a rubbing!

Thank goodness for the 400 miles.
                      If the stone has surface missing it has probably laminated and the pressure of taking a light rubbing could cause the rest of the surface to break away.

Best way to see more is to visit the graveyard in the evening/night and shine a torch across the surface this will cause shadows that will enhance any writing left. If the surface has spalled there may be no trace left unless the stone is x-rayed.
                      Cheers
                      Guy

Comment

How about
                        "As we at the grave here watched"
                        as a guess of the first line?

Comment

Till Christians awake maybe?
                          Jess

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                            .... unless the stone is x-rayed.
                            An interesting comment Guy - I didn't realise they x-rayed stones to get the MI's?
                            Elaine

Comment

They don't as a matter of course but it is possible.
                              Any time a stone is struck with a chisel trace elements of the tool sink deep into the stone. As a result high powered x-rays (X-ray fluorescence imaging to give it its correct title) are able to detect the inscriptions in stones where the inscription is no longer visible to the naked eye.

Problem is as with many geo-physical surveys, cost is a limiting factor.
                              Cheers
                              Guy

Comment

Thanks all for the comments, and Guy for the warning! I shall now NOT make the rubbing whenever I manage to get back there, but will try for an evening visit with a torch. My previous visit was on a bright sunny day, so shadows weren't really in evidence.

Comment

Working...
                                X