passenger list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• passenger list

I'm now trying to trace one of my great aunts, Kate Doreen Hiles, born in Oxford in 1895. I have been told that she went to america as a young child and we have no further info on her - Her father had died and her mother died in Oxford in 1944. I can find a listing of Kate Hiles going to Canada in 1910. Could someone have a quick peek at the passenger list and give me more info, even if just to rule her out.

Thanks

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

I can see an entry in 1910 for Kate Hiles, aged 27, therefore born c1883, but she is on the incoming passenger lists from Canada. (On Ancestry)
    Elaine

Comment

Oops - sorry I must have been looking at the wrong page. Back to the drawing board then - Kate seems to have vanished after the 1901 census when she was with her garndparents - no marriage or deaths on BMD, no listings anywhere that I can find!

Thanks for your help though.

Linda
      Linda

Comment

There isn't much info on the outbound list - but what is useful is the fact that the ship is the Corsican leaving Liverpool on 6 October, to Montreal. That means you can look her up for free at the Canada end. :D
        Introduction - Passenger Lists, 1865-1922 - Library and Archives Canada

Just use the year, ship-name, and destination port in the search terms, and you get a list of possible crossings. When you find the right one, Kate's on page 24 of 39. But, yes, she's 23, and a nurse.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Just seen another one on Ancestry. Not sure why it didn´t show up on the first search.

Kate Hiles born born c 1894 Oxford
          Port of departure Liverpool
          Date of Arival 25 Jul 1910 New York
          Ship Name: Arabic
          Elaine

Comment

On FMP, I've just found STILES transcribed as HILES (and submitted corrections). That means, of course, that the error could be made the other way around.

H can look like N (NILES is a maybe), M (MILES would be very likely), W (WILES is certainly a possibility)...

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              Just seen another one on Ancestry. Not sure why it didn´t show up on the first search.

Looking at the image it gives name and address of nearest relative as:
              Mother - Florence Hiles, 208 Marlborough Road, Oxford
              Elaine

Comment

The inbound passenger list doesn't appear here, yet, but it's worth looking out for:
                Castle Garden

Christine

Comment

Thank you Christine - had a good look, and sadly I don't think that it is my Kate, as she would only have been 15 and I don't think she could have passed herself off as a nurse. My other option is to check the D. Hiles as they tended to call themselves by their second name - she was always referred to as Aunt Dorrie.

Linda
                  Linda

Comment

On the other hand the one Elaine found is on the Ellis Island site:
                    Ellis Island - FREE Port of New York Passenger Records Search

It gives the age 16, the same mother's name, home (Oxford) address, and also that the final destination is NJ, Hoboken. Her passage had been paid by her Aunt, Elisabeth HERALD(? - I think you need to have an idea what the name is in order to read it! ), of 122 Maple St, Hoboken. She was 5'4", with fair complexion, fair hair and blue eyes, born Oxford. But you can see the manifest for yourself if you register with the Ellis Island site.

Christine
                    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 26-07-09, 21:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post

This one can be found on the Ellis Island website - where you can´view at the ships manifest.
                      Elaine

Comment

Yes. that's her - mother was Florence Hiles. Wonder why she was sent off at 15, obviously to an Aunt - I've never heard of relatives in the States before. Off to look at the Ellis Island page. Thanks very much

Linda
                        Linda

Comment

Very difficult to read the name - there are two possibilities for the aunt from her mothers side - Elizabeth and Eliza Jane were her mothers sisters. They lived in Hampshire, and as I'm going to Winchester on Thursday, I might be able to track down if and to who they married. Fingers crossed.

Linda
                          Linda

Comment

HI Ozgirl

for the record there was a passenger list in 1904 for Elisa Jane Norgate the younger bn 1870 still single going to see her married older sister Mrs E Harman at 122 Maple Street, Weehawken Heights NJ got the older sister living in weehawken in 1900, 1910

this older sister had married,available to see at freebmd in 1885 Croydon to Alfred Edward J Harman.

They went out in 1889 though I have yet to find them in pass list for you.

Still trying to track this younger sister who went out in 1904 in the 1910 or 1920 census but is proving hard.
                            WendyP

Comment

Hi Wendy, Thanks for that info - I had tracked down Elizabeths marriage this morning, but had no idea that Eliza Jane had gone out too. I wonder if she stayed or came back to UK. It might seem that we have got quite a lot of family in the US. I think the original house at 122 Maple Street is there still, looking on Google earth.

Linda
                              Linda

Comment

Is there a US equivalent to the BMDFree site. I thought I might try to find out if Kate married in the States.

Linda
                                Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                                  Is there a US equivalent to the BMDFree site. I thought I might try to find out if Kate married in the States.

Linda
                                  All the individual states have their own systems.

There doesn't seem to be anything like FreeBMD for any of them. There are a few databases available here and there, but no universal coverage. Or not that I've managed to find - and I have looked.

Christine

Comment

Thanks Christine - from what I can see you have to also prove you are related, and tell them all the information on the certificate you want before they give it to you. Very helpful.

Linda
                                    Linda

Comment

I did manage to get a full death cert from Florida for the man whom I believe to be my Errant Grandfather. Because it was only 1967 I could only get the cause of death bit by saying that I believed that I was his granddaughter - which is true - but I can't recall having to get court-standard proof.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                      X