Power options driving me mad!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power options driving me mad!

My laptop keeps cutting out.The power was out, so tried to keep using with power pack....kept crashing!!!

Any ideas??
    Just Mandy

"They certainly broke the mould when they made me!"

Does it just keep turning itself off
    Best Wishes
    Ron
    www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

Yes Ron - have switched to my school power cable - seems better. Think it may be a combo of overheating and trying to do somethign too complex with the tiny amount of power left!
      Just Mandy

"They certainly broke the mould when they made me!"

Comment

I was going to say it sounds like overheating, you are using it on a hard surface I hope, laptops are renown for overheating if you use them believe it or not on your lap or cushion or other soft materials, the air vents underneath need to be kept clear
        Best Wishes
        Ron

Comment

I am seriously thinking of buying a Laptop but keep reading about the power failing. If using a battery it only lasts for a few hours.
          The most likely place I would need to use it is on a yacht where I have no access to mains electricity.
          Can someone advise me of how people manage their Laptops in odd situations.
          Margaret N
          DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Not many laptops will last longer than 3 hours, you could always buy extra batteries and charge them up before you sail. I'm suprised the yacht hasn't got a power converter.
            Best Wishes
            Ron

Comment

Ron,

You may be surprised that we have not got a power converter. This is a 'Real' sail yacht not one of the 'mega types' that the media show you.
              When it gets dark in the evening we sit in the dark. We do have a charger to start the engine if needed but we need to be a Marina to do that. Hence my enquiry about Laptops as so many people seem to use them.
              Margaret N
              DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

If you don't mind not having an optical drive (the one that reads and writes to DVD/CD) then have a look at the little netbook Samsung NC10. The reviews I have read say that with light use, its battery lasts an incredible 8 hours. I reckon light use would be entering up data in your tree, word processing and the likes. Heavy usage gets you just over 4 hours. I've seen one in the shops and had a fiddle with it. It looks very good. If I only had the cash... doh!

Comment

Working...
                X