No announcement yet.

Ann Merrick nee Taylor b 1822 Dilwyn ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ann Merrick nee Taylor b 1822 Dilwyn ?

good morning...bit sticky this one....goes back to March this year..
    Thanks to Elaine in Spain she found my 3 x g grandmother Ann ( Taylor ) Merrick in the 1861 census at Hillhampton House Farm in Ocle Pychard with her family
    Edward Merrick b 1828 Norton Canon
    Ann Merrick b 1822 Dilwyn
    Anna Merrick b 1850
    Marianne Merrick b 1852.(.my gg grandmother who came and married into the Oakes family here in Garston)
    William Taylor Merrick b 1855.......
    so now my query....Ann Merrick is not on the 1871 census at the farm....I stupidly presumed she had died between the census returns....Ocle Pychard is a very small village and somebody on another site may be going to the churchyard in Ocle Pychard.....the only death I can find for Ann Merrick between 1861 and 1871 in Herefordshire is in 1870 but she`s 79...so that`s not MY Ann......could anybody see if they can find Ann Merrick (taylor ) b 1822 Dilwyn in the 1871 census please.....or maybe a death for her as I can`t find one for her during these 10 years....cheers....allan;)
    ADDED...ON IGI HER MARRIAGE IN DILWYN TO EDWARD MERRICK 15TH FEB 1849 SHE IS ANNE (with an E)...would this matter on a freebmd search ?....allan
    Last edited by garstonite; 26-07-09, 10:21.
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Just to let you know I've had a look, but not coming up with anything useful.
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
      ADDED...ON IGI HER MARRIAGE IN DILWYN TO EDWARD MERRICK 15TH FEB 1849 SHE IS ANNE (with an E)...would this matter on a freebmd search ?....allan
      If you are not sure of the correct spelling of the name you can always use a wildcard - *
      so if searching on freeBMD you enter the name as Ann* - it will pick up Ann/Anne/Annette, in fact any first name that starts with the three letters of Ann
      Elaine

Comment

Elaine, I don't think you actually need to use a wildcard on the first name(s) on freeBMD. Unless you select "exact match on first names", Ann will bring up Ann, Anna, Anne, Ann Mary, etc.

scuda
        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Thanks Elaine (as always lol)...thanks Scuda...wonder where she was on the 1871 census ?....puzzled...allan
          Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Scuda, yes, you're right! I do it through habit because although it works on the actual freeBMD site, it doesn't work if you are searching freeBMD through Ancestry - you would then need to use the wildcard.
            Elaine

Comment

Allan

even if someone were to go to the churchyard, there's no guarantee there was ever a headstone, or that it survived or that it is legible.

Who is living at the farm in 1871? Is Edward still alive? Does it say if he is a widower or married?
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

:DThanks...Edward died in 1884 aged 57.......he was a retired farmer in the 1871 census aged 43....with a family named Williams...as a lodger..
                Henry and Eliza Rigby are at Hillhampton in 1871
                in 1861 census Edwards farm Hillhampton was over 100 acres and he had 3 servants so I presume he was rich....no wonder he was retired at 43.....lol...still no sign of Anne Merrick though ?....allan;)

ADDED...GOING OFF LINE FOR A WHILE...BACK LATER...cheers...allan
                Last edited by garstonite; 26-07-09, 12:37.

Comment

Found him mistranscibed as Monick in 1871. RG10; Piece: 2700; Folio: 15; Page: 30

Impossible to tell if it says Mar or Wid in the marital condition column, but I am inclined to think it says Mar.
                  Last edited by Little Nell; 26-07-09, 16:19.

Comment

On the other hand, can't find Ann/e by doing search for all females born Dilwyn, Herefs 1822 +/- 2 years in 1871.

So she may have not put exact birthplace or she may have died.

I guess if you can't find her in death index on GRO you will have to either contact the relevant (Bromyard?) register office or see if you can check the parish burial registers.

Comment

I have just looked at deaths on Free BMD and tried Hereford and Worcester and in 1871 there is an Ann Merrick aged 59 Worcester (which borders Herefordshire) in the first quarter, could this be her although her age is out?
                      Tessie

Comment

I tend to agree with Nell that is looks like he was still married in 1871 and if I have found the right Edward in 1881 he was married then as well. If this was the case then there is this possible death for Ann.

Sep 1884
                        Merrick Ann age 73 Hereford 6a 279

I'm still trying to find Ann in 1871 and 1881.

Jane

Comment

Sorry, looks like that death is wrong - Ann wouldn't have been that old would she.

Jane

Comment

Any chance they had family in Wales and were there for the census?
                            I have family from a village near Ocle Pychard and some members went to Wales to work.
                            Welsh folk used to come to that area of Herefordshire to work in the hop fields during their holiday, so there seemed to be quite a link between the 2 areas.

Comment

Mary Ann Merrick died 1st quarter 1865 Ross, Herefordshire, Hereford and Worcester?
                              Tessie

Comment

There is someone on Ancestry who has a tree with Ann on. It says she died in 1893 in Hereford, however it is not public so I cannot see anymore information, it might be worth making contact?
                                Tessie

Comment

Did Edward leave a Will perhaps mentioning whether or not Ann had died?

Comment

thank you all...Tess..I have checked all those you have mentioned EXCEPT the Ancestry tree.....
                                    Gwen....sorry but the family go back to 1600`s in that area mostly Norton Canon......the Ancestry contact looks a good bet....I can only think of one possible person that might be...I`ll e-mail him now and see.....thanks all....allan;)

Comment

this is beginning to look like Ann didn`t die between 1861 and 1871....maybe she lied about her age at her marriage....according to my records she is 6 yrs older than her husband Edward.......she 1822.....he 1828......could IGI be wrong ?....allan

Comment

Working...
                                      X