Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a cadger?

Hello,
    Have just found a relative in Scotland whose occupation was listed in 1881 as a grocer & cadger. Am I right in thinking that he took his wares around on a cart? Or would he have had a shop? Or maybe both?
    J

From the Old Occupations website : Old Occupations - C

Cadger
    1) Beggar
    2) Medieval hawk carrier. Attended hawking party, carrying hawks perched on a square frame around his waist and slung from his shoulders. Origin of 'cadge a lift'

Elaine

Comment

Seems difficult to equate someone who is a grocer (a good employment) along with begging?

I know my parents used to use "on the cadge" for someone wanting something without paying for it but this definition doesnt seem to fit for someone who is a grocer does it.

Comment

AH, in SCOTTISH old occupations:

Cadger Travelling pedlar

Comment

That sounds better!

Heather, do you have a link for Scottish occupations?
          Elaine

Comment

we still call anyone in Garston who tries to borrow money...a cadger...
            if someone in the pub runs out of cigi papers they will ask "can I cadge a couple of cigi papers off you,? "
            still in use in Garston....allan;)
            Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
            oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
            adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
            merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
            coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

yes I think I'll go for the travelling pedlar rather than someone who goes round begging for groceries

Comment

I am sure that I saw recently that it was the baskets slung round the hawkers neck was called a cadge and that cadge a lift came from this

Comment

Scottish genealogy and Scottish family tree research service within Scotland from Scots Family

Comment

In an 1896 dictionary I found cadger defined as "One who brings butter, eggs, poultry and the like, to the market from the country; an itinerant huckster".

Comment

SP gives it as a travelling dealer or carrier

Comment

Yes very often carriers were cadgers as well. They made additional income by trading goods (eggs milk poultry etc.) if they had space on their cart.
                        Many had a set route and were used as a mobile shop for the outlying farms and villages.
                        Cheers
                        Guy.
                        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

When I was a child a man with a mobile shop lived down the road. He did a round of all the little villages and hamlets and sold more or less everything. He was known as the Vinegar Man because of his cry "Vinnegow".
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Brilliant - thank you everyone for your input
                            J

Comment

Working...
                            X