X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy Records after 1919

Hi all,

I'm sorry to say it's me again... :(.

My grandfather Thomas William Charles Hitchinson - was in the navy - he was born in 1918 though so he's not on any of the records available to me as most of them go up to 1919 only (the navy ones anyway) - I'm only subscribed to findmypast.com - can anyone have a quick search (probably just for Thomas Hitchinson) on ancestry or something? :-) Or do you know anywhere free where you recommend I take a look? Thanks a lot guys.

PS. I'm sorry I keep asking questions and I'm not very good at helping anyone else out as I am still learning in this area... however I make regular trips to the National Archives at Kew (approximately one or two a month) so if anyone wants anything specific checking out while i'm there please pm me. :-D

Laura

For Navy Records after 1922 you will have to contact the MOD, prove you are next of kin, complete a form giving as much info as possible and a fee of £30. This is because the records after 1922 are still retained by the MOD and will not be released until the MOD is ready to do so. All Navy records pre 1922 are at The National Archives Kew. Any medal entitlements for W War 1 and W War 2 are available for downloading from TNA at a cost of £3.50 each one or free if you go to the National Archives or through Ancestry. You can also use your public library for one hour free time to download the medal entitlements through Acestry. I presume you will be looking for Second W War Records or at least records from 1934 onwards? It is helpful to have some idea of the ships on which he served.

The following website for which I did a google search should help you.

Janet
    Last edited by Janet; 25-07-09, 21:42.

Comment

here is the link to the Veterans Agency, where you can apply for Royal Navy records.

Service records - Royal Navy

Here is the info you will find on the link i have given

Prior to 1972 all RN personnel were given their service record when they discharged. For pension purposes the RN retained pay details. Therefore the only information held on RN personnel who served prior to 1972 are their Service details (number, rank, name etc) and a list of dates and ships/shore bases.

Certificate of Kinship
      Information from the personal record of a deceased Ex-serviceman/woman can be released only with the consent of the official Next of Kin. The Certificate of Kinship form aims to identify whose consent is required and the data you provide will be used only in connection with your enquiry. This form is retained for 2 years should you have subsequent queries.

To download the Certificate of Kinship form, please click here.

A Subject Access Requests (SAR) form needs to be completed in order to access records.

The following address should be used for all Royal Navy and Royal Marine Enquiries

RN Disclosures Cell
      Room 48
      West Battery
      Whale Island
      Portsmouth
      Hampshire
      PO2 8DX

Telephone: 02392 628779/ 02392 628781

George
      Researching Drury, Tinley, Watson, Pavier. Mainly Nottinghamshire

Comment

Ah.... ****** lol. I'm a student so the cost implications are simply out of the question (i'm currently limited to buying one birth/marriage/death certificate per month as I simply cannot afford more) But thanks for letting me know. I'm not sure how involved he was in WWII so I will leave it for now... 2020 isn't that far away lol. :-/

Comment

Working...
        X