Debating buying FTM 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debating buying FTM 2009

I have been dipping in and out of family research for the last nine years or so. I'd like to now commit more time as I realise that every time I start up again I'm a little rusty.

To make matters worse, I have been using an old version of FTM which has worked fine, but now having a new pc with a Vista Business OS my files copied over but not my FTM software, so I can't open them.

I have two options:
    1 To continue using my old pc which runs XP;
    2 Buy FTM for my new pc;

I realise I may be better off getting a newer version of FTM even if I stick with my old pc.

So, can anyone offer any general words of advice please?

And I have read a couple of reviews where FTM 2009 does not run on Vista, so any advice on that would be most welcome.

Thanks, Ray

Which version of FTM are you using at the moment?

FTM 2005 / 2006 / 2008 / 2009 all work with Vista Home, although you will need to download a patch for 2005 & 2006. (not sure about Vista Business!)

You will find that FTM 2009 is very different to all earlier versions of FTM - so it depends how used you are to your current version as to how well you will get on with the new version!

I've got both FTM 2006 and 2009 installed on my computer - and much prefer 2006 but that is probably because I have been using it for a few years now.
    Elaine

Comment

FTM 2006 works with Vista Business (after instaling the patch), and I see no reason why 2005 wouldn't either if it works with other versions of Vista.
      Sarah

Comment

Thanks Elaine and Sarah. I have heard others say they prefer earlier FTM versions to 2009.

Apologies for my ignorance, but the 'patch' for the versions you both speak of, is that downloaded from MS or from FTM?

Ray

Comment

You can find it at this link
          Family Tree Maker Update for Windows Vista
          Elaine

Comment

Many thanks for the link Elaine,

Ray

Comment

Just one thing to point out,

The 2005/2006 and v16 versions of Family Tree Maker will only work with Vista 32 bit, they are not Vista 64 bit compatible.
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Another option is to consider some of the other products such as Legacy or Family Historian. Both have a much smaller footprint on your PC and will run on both XP and Vista (FH runs on the current RC for Windows 7) , FTM 2009 takes 500Mb install space.
                Jane
                Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
                "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

I have recently installed FTM 2009 - only version I have - and I absolutely love it!

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the information. Some food for thought there,

Ray

Comment

I have FTM 2009 as well. I got it with Tesco vouchers.

At first I hated it and kept on using 2006 but finally decided I must try with it. Now I far prefer it. The web links and ability to merge are far superior to 2006. The census returns are downloaded to a media file on the computer and adding photos etc to people and linking them with several others is so much easier.

Unfortunately, it means I spend even more time on the research-well it is raining cats and dogs outside so no gardening to do.
                      Jennie
                      Research: A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots .

Comment

Hi Elaine Spain
                        Big thankyou for update patch link for ftm2005 , was thinking would have to update ftm because it wasn't working ..books .. now downloaded and its working fine

Jebbo

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                        You can find it at this link
                        Family Tree Maker Update for Windows Vista

Jebbett, Jebson, Goodman, White, Brown, Savory, Salisbury, Wheway, Hastings,
                        Lenton, Perkins, Croshaw, Mallabone, Downey, Ring, Bergen, McConkey, Murphy.
                        ( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

FTM version 2010 is due to be released at the end of this month.
                          Best Wishes
                          Ron
                          www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

Have you had a preview Ron - if so is there much difference to 2009?

Edit
                            Just found this which doesn't tell you a lot!
                            Family Tree Maker 2010
                            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                              Have you had a preview Ron - if so is there much difference to 2009?
                              No, we have been beta testers for FTM for nearly 10 years and in all tht time they have never done anything we suggested or fixed any problems we have found , there are a few issues with FTM when it comes to tree printing, only professional tree printers like us will encounter these problems, especially the PDF bit. I now refuse to test it.
                              Best Wishes
                              Ron
                              www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

That's a shame.
                                I do feel that FTM has deteriorated over the last couple of years - their new version was not well thought through and released far too early before any problems had been ironed out.
                                Occasionally I contemplate giving Family Historian a go - I might have a play with the 30 day free trial - but for now I'll continue with FTM2006 for as long as there is support.
                                Elaine

Comment

I eventually opted for FTM 2009 (deluxe version). I spent a few days playing around and seeing what had changed from my ancient version (4.something!). Managed to import a couple of family files effortlessly and still getting used to one or two of the newer options but overall I'm very happy.

Having read a few of the more recent comments it seems like the software (whichever one we choose) is a little like our own brains - we don't use (or need maybe) all of it. If those bits we need do the job we are content. What is disappointing is that if versions are tested and can be improved those improvements and suggestions should be acted on. Maybe a petition is needed to convince the owner/developer that in the market place consumers can easily switch brands!

Comment

Working...
                                  X