Servant aged 76 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servant aged 76 ?

on the 1871 census a rellie of my husbands is down as a widow and a servant poor women she is listed as Old Servant surely about the oldest servant ever ?

i wouldnt say its unusual val. if she couldnt feed herself, then it would be a good job. for all we know, she could have been employed to keep the kids out of the bosses hair?

Comment

Nope, I can beat that - William Holden aged 85 on 1841 census, is described as a "stone breaker" poor devil!

OC

Comment

Let's hope the old lady servant was so highly regarded by the family that they were keeping her on in the family as an act of charity.

Comment

One of OHs relatives was down as a labourer and he was 82 poor soul...

Comment

when you think how they werent usually as healthy as the same aged people these days it must have been hard .

Comment

My gt gt grandfather died from injuries sustained when he fell from the main yardarm of a sailing ship. At 68 years old he was still climbing ship's rigging to earn a crust. There is no headstone on his grave, presumably his widow couldn't afford one. No old age pension in those days!
              Emeltee

Comment

Yes I have Ag Labs in their 80s. No Welfare State. We have a lot to thank Nye Bevan for.

Comment

Working...
                X