help on certs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help on certs

on i think all, english certs i have, in the 'where and when' column, at the bottom, usually says 'UD'.
    does this mean under district?

It means Urban District Kyle

Comment

thank you, haha. now i feel really dumb. :D

Comment

LOL so did I till some other kind soul told me. If you ever get USD it is simply Urban Sub District

Comment

i have had that one, and wasnt going to ask, as i would have felt like i needed to go back to school!! :D

thank you though, glad to know now, it wont be eating at me anymore!!

Comment

I may be wrong, but I thought USD was Urban Sanitary District.

scuda
            Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Snap, Scuda, so did I. Never mind it has the same sort of meaning - a local government area.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by scuda View Post
                I may be wrong, but I thought USD was Urban Sanitary District.
                why put that on certs then?

Comment

I think, as Anne says, it's just a local government area - there is also RSD, which is Rural Sanitary District. I must admit, I don't take much notice of them, but perhaps I should!

scuda
                  Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

now I could well be wrong on the SUB bit as it was a city dwelling cousin who told me and he's no genealogy expert. Having seen the alternative, and the RSD one as well, I reckon scuda and Anne will be right Kyle. At least I got 1 bit right! ;)

Comment

im just glad i know what it means. seems a bit funny to put sanitary district on though. i think of it as sewers and stuff, but im so off track right?

Comment

not really off track no; I was curious to find out too and there's a few entries on the web that help. Have a look a this Wapedia - Wiki: Sanitary district Also another reference added that the USD rated the inhabitants to provide relief for the poor and had responsibilities for the poor of the district in their remit.

Comment

thats very interesting. so i was thinking along the lines of sanitation. haha, so good to be having the right ideas!!

Comment

My great grandfather was 'surveyor and sanitary inspector' for the Dodworth, West Yorkshire RSD! I suppose I should really go into more depth as to what his job actually entailed. He began his working life as a boy in the mines but soon became a 'roadman' ie road repairer. He made his way up the ladder from there!

Anne

Comment

Working...
                            X