1911 odd middle name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 odd middle name

My Grandads family on the 1911 census has an unusaul transcribtion of a middle name.

William Aunther Stenning of Kirdford

To me the middle name looks like Aurther going by the other letters used on the names of the family members .

Does Aurther happen to be another spelling of Arthur ?

Peter

The scanner and the automated SoftWare they use isn't perfect by any means (but as good as it gets), so I would assume he is an Arthur!

You should see some of the mistranscriptions it comes up with
    Woodcock(Dudley...Worcestershire Broseley...Shropshire) Woodley & Allen(Herts/Essex/London/Kent/Surrey... & NSW/Vic/Queensland... AUS) and MANY, MANY more...!

Sherlock always gets a result

Comment

Arthur is a name that many people mis-spell anyway. Even these days I've seen people writing it as Aurther, or similar. Usually not the person whose name it is, but I think some peple confuse it with the word author.

scuda
      Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Geoff, it sounds as though Peter's actually seen the image.

I expect whoever filled in the form spelled it wrong.

Comment

Yes i have seen the image and it was filled in by his father and signed by him so i can assume he was literate as every other name is readble and correct in spellings.

Only on the transcribtion it is Aunther which the R in Mable Montgomery Stenning , yes that is Mongomery , looks the same as the r in Aurther.

Comment

Working...
          X