Irish Marriage Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Marriage Certificate

Where would I obtain a certificate or proof of marriage in Ireland please?
    My GGG Grandparents were married in St. James Church in Dublin.
    I was advised to send an email to the church to see if they can help me.
    I've sent several emails over the last few months but never received a reply.
    Any idea where I go from here please?

Irish BMD certificates can be ordered from the Irish GRO: The General Register Office Ireland :: An tSeirbhís um Chlárú Sibhialta

Irish BMD indexes for 1845-1958 are available here: FamilySearch Record Search

You may also find some useful information in the Wiki: Ireland - Family Tree Forum
    Sarah

Comment

Thanks Sarah.
      I forgot to say, they married in 1817, so there wouldn't be a marriage certificate, would there, just a parish record.

Comment

The title of your message is Irish Marriage Certificate, so I thought that was what you were looking for.
        In that case you will need a parish record, if they exist for that time.

See Irish Ancestors/ Roman Catholic records - Dublin City, according to which the surviving marriage records for St James should cover 1817 and are available from the Dublin Heritage Group and at the National Library of Ireland.
        Last edited by Cloggie; 24-07-09, 15:01.
        Sarah

Comment

As it was before civil registration started, you could try asking on the rootsweb mailing list for Dublin; I have had help from subscribers there.
          Joy

Comment

Thank you Sarah, looks like I'd have to visit to do any research.
            Thanks Joy, I did that a while ago, that's where I was advised to write to the church.

Comment

Some of the records are searchable online on the Dublin Heritage Group site, but this doesn't appear to include St James' Church.
              I can't see anything about a research service, but you could always phone or e-mail then and ask - contact details are at the bottom of the homepage.
              Last edited by Cloggie; 24-07-09, 15:14.
              Sarah

Comment

You obtain Catholic Irish Parish records through Dublin National Library but in the main parish records for Ireland have to be researched by you in Ireland ie at Dublin Library for catholic records:

Introduction

Or Dublin National Archives for protestant records:

National Archives: Census of Ireland 1911

You MAY find something on the online records through:

Online Irish ancestral Birth, Death and Marriage records for Ireland. Irish Genealogy research center - Irish Family History Foundation

The above website is not cheap and you may not access the record you are after, but you have to pay your money first before you know for sure and even then with a popular name you may not be sure.

There are very few Irish Parish records online but always worth a google to see. Writing/e mailing a church is always a bit hit and miss. The church in Dublin you are writing to may be a fairly new church and so not the same one that your ancestors married. Try googling the church to see when it was built. Few catholic churches were built in Ireland before 1820 as until 1829 catholic teaching was banned from the country. There are some exceptions.

Incidentally the parish record will only show the names of bride and groom, witnesses but no parents' names.

Janet
                Last edited by Janet; 24-07-09, 15:29.

Comment

Thanks Sarah and Janet.
                  Sarah, I noticed that there were no records for St. James on the Dublin Heritage Group site, typical isn't it.

Comment

Unfortunately the Dublin city records are not online on the IFHF site Janet mentioned either.
                    I noticed the Archdiocese of Dublin has some guidelines for family research on their site. This link will open up the guidelines in a Word document: http://www.dublindiocese.ie/images/s...20research.doc
                    Sarah

Comment

Thank you Sarah, that document is very helpful.
                      I have emailed the Archives at Dublin to make sure I've asked the correct church for the marriage information, rather than wait for ages to find it isn't the correct church.

Comment

You're welcome. I hope they are able to help you!
                        Sarah

Comment

I emailed the National Library of Ireland and it is possible they have the marriage record I want, but they don't carry out genealogy research for people.
                          I would either have to go there in person, as Janet said earlier or employ a researcher to find the info for me.
                          Have to plan a trip to Ireland one day then, by the looks of it.

Comment

Sorry about that but that does seem to be how to research Irish roots, by going there!! The upside is that you can make a really good holiday out of it, visiting some fantastic places but the downside is the expense, especially at the present moment.

Good luck,

Janet

Comment

Thanks Janet, the thing is I hate holidays, but my OH would love it. :D

Comment

Working...
                              X