Ancestry Picture question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry Picture question?

I have uploaded a number of pictures onto my tree on ancestry. If i want to update my tree at a later date and upload a new gedcom of my tree will all the pictures be lost and will i have to upload them again? Or would i be better putting the pics on Family tree maker first and then uploading the gedcom file?...............thanks
    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

When I updated my tree it lost all the photos and the census records, so had to add them again. (Sorry can't help about FTM)

Comment

The photos won't be transferred to the gedcom from FTM.

If you want to add photos to your tree, you could do worse than use Tribal Pages - I have a free site there, and the photos aren't lost when you upload a new gedcom.

Comment

Paul, if you export a GEDCOM file from Family Tree Maker it will not contain your photos as GEDCOMs are data files only.

There was a thread on here a couple of days ago about uploading a FTM file into Ancestry - I´ll see if I can find the link you.
        Elaine

Comment

This is the link on the Ancestry website.
          Upload an existing family tree file - Ancestry.co.uk

It would appear from this that you can upload a Family Tree Maker .ftw file into Ancestry - which means that it should transfer any pictures at the same time.
          Elaine

Comment

Paul,
            I have just done a dummy run from Family Tree Maker 2006 - and have successfully uploaded my normal FTM data file (ftw) into Ancestry, complete with photos!
            Elaine

Comment

thats interesting Elaine

Comment

Val,
                Until a couple of days ago I didn't even know it was possible! :o
                It's certainly a good way to go if people want to publish their photos on Ancestry, rather than just pure data.
                If you have a public tree then I would recommend you privatise the file before uploading it, so that details of living people are hidden.

Not sure if it works with FTM2009 - I'll give it a try later.
                Elaine

Comment

Thanks so much Elaine, Bev, and Mary for all the info and special thanks Elaine for doing a trial run. This should be ok for me as well as I am running Family tree maker 2006. I shall now delete what I have put on ancestry already and add them to my FTM file and try to upload my ftw file and see if it works as well.

Thanks again for all the wonderful help as always......xx

Comment

Just uploaded my tree as a *ftw file onto ancestry and all the pictures are there. Great stuff many thanks Elaine..........xx

Comment

can I ask if I already have a tree on ancestry with a couple of stories and just a few photos attached and import into it a *ftw file from ftm which has loads of photos would the existing stuff on ancestry still be there???

Comment

I just deleted the original gedcom tree that i had previously uploaded onto ancestry and uploaded a new *ftw file

Comment

thing is though Paul I dont have thes photos and stories on my FTM only on Ancestry so I suppose I shall have to put them into that first then ???

Comment

Val, when you upload a new file to Ancestry, whether it be a GEDCOM or a FTM file, it will not overwrite the file you already have there - but it wont merge into it either.
                            If you don't delete one then you will end up with two trees on Ancestry, which can get confusing.
                            Elaine

Comment

bump.......................

Comment

Thanks Paulc for bumping this thread further to my longwinded post on the Family Tree Software forum.
                                I am still confused though :o

Am I correct in thinking that I would have to upload a final GEDCOM from Ancestry.co.uk to FTM then manually add all my photos and stories to FTM making this my dominant tree?

Then I would need to delete all my Ancestry.co.uk tree and then transfer a file to Ancestry but not in a GEDCOM format? How would i do this?

Would I then always go into Ancestry searches via FTM and if so, having found for example a census record I wanted to attach to an individual, how would I actually do this. Attached census records show clearly on Ancestry.co.uk but I can't see how they show on FTM? Is it a case of always remembering to manualy add the newly found record?

What is the general concensus amongst you all as to whether it is better to hold your tree on a stand alone system or on a site such as Ancestry?

Moving over is such a scary step for me, I want to know I am doing it correctly.

Thanks again for your response.

Comment

Muppet - have replied on your other thread -
                                  Elaine

Comment

Nudging for others to see
                                    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

I have tried to do this with FTW file and it wont work ancestry times out on me am I doing something wrong??? also I used 2006 should I have used a newer version of FTM ???
                                      borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

just to let you know that when i did it, my version was ftm 2006, so that shouldn't be the problem

Comment

Working...
                                        X