Bailey Family Kings Norton, Birmingham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bailey Family Kings Norton, Birmingham

Hi all, i'm new to this forum. Iam researching the Bailey family of Kings Norton.
    Eliza B: 1850 (Brown) daughters Eliza 1872, Fanny 1874, George 1877 and Henry 1879. the two girls as far as i have found have never married, George who is my great grandfather came to Australia and Henry married Edith Thompson in 1915 in kings norton. in 1911 they lived at 61 russell rd Moseley.
    Henry was in the Army, he was also an Italian warehouseman. Fanny was a Costumier and had her own business.
    Any info on this family would be fantastic, would love to know where Fanny had her business. Thankyou.

Hi Vskin and welcome to Family Tree Forum

I see you are in Australia which makes life a bit tricky. Do you have the family in censuses before 1911?

Not sure exactly what Fanny's costumier business involved but its likely she might have worked from home. Does your information say she had her own business? She might be listed in a historical directory.

There are some on line but they are patchy so you might need to see if someone at the relevant archives can help.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Welcome, vskin

This is quite useful/helpful forum for info on the Birmingham area: Birmingham History Forum - Powered by vBulletin
      but without the rate of posts we tend to have here.

If you have a look in the FTF Wiki, you might find some useful ideas there, too.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Do you have access to Ancestry?

Henry's service record (Regt No 299105) is there - or is that how you knew about his career, his wife's name, and when they married?

I see that 10 Strensham Rd, Balsall Heath (or Cannon Hill), was another relevant address for them (looks as if it were afterwards - the Moseley address is there but crossed out).

He is described on one document as a Turner, instead of Italian Warehouseman.
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 23-07-09, 15:16.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Do you have places of birth, too? With a not-unusual name like BAILEY, it does help.

Christine

Comment

Hi all thanks for replying, yes i have henry's service record that is how i new his address and who he married.
            Do you think that Fanny may have worked from home????
            They were all born in Birmingham and yes i have all of the census up until 1911. as far as i know my grandfather visited them in 1939 and were still at the same address in Mosely. Can't find any deaths for them, but there was a rumour in our family that one of the ladies died in a car accident in 1939. I think it may have been the mother Eliza.:D

Comment

61 Russell Road, Moseley - currently an expensive and desirable road and is on streetview on Google Earth

10 Strensham Rd, Balsall Heath - this area has had mass immigration in the last 30 years or so - but this road looks pretty good and this row seems to have been recently renovated. It hasn' yet been filmed for google earth.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Redacted
                Last edited by Penelope; 24-07-09, 19:21.

Comment

Hi Penelope and JBee, what wonderful information!!! thankyou so much. I actually have a very old photo of the house in Russell Rd, But not the one in Balsall Heath. Fantastic!
                  I guess that Fanny could have worked any where since it was such a close nit area. Thankyou both so much again. Vanessa:D
                  Attached Files

Comment

Sorry forgot to mention 10 Strensham Road is in the middle of the row behind the lampost. It has a brown front door to the left and the other brown door is to the entry leading to the back of the building.

BirminghamLives - The Carl Chinn Archive Carl is a local history professor who loves his local history and produces a monthly magazine about different aspects of life around the midlands.

There was a good site www.virtual-brum.co.uk but this appears to have shut down - which is a shame as there were lots of photos on it.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

thankyou so much JBee, iam putting my family history together as a presentation for my family, now i can add the picture of no 10! wonderful thanks again. vanessa

Comment

if you need any more birmingham ones let me know.

Comment

If you need certificates in the Birmingham area, Birmingham RO is marvellous!
                          Apply on line, and if you put in checking points eg Mother and fathers, names on birth cert, and these do not check out you do NOT get charged. They are very helpful too.
                          Rita

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/.../User:Nappycat

Comment

Working...
                          X