No announcement yet.

What software are you using to restore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What software are you using to restore?

Can I ask what software 'the restoration people' are using to fix pictures posted here. I know there are a few on the market and I wonder which one is best

Thanks
    David.
    Researching: Jamieson/Glasgow, Scotland + New York. Fiddaman/Durham. Russell/Lanarkshire

My Tree

Hi David, I'm using photoshop elements 5.0 at the moment but I'm thinking of upgrading....must ask Wendy, I think she is using elements 7.0, wonder if it's got more/better features.
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

I have Photoshop CS2 Premium
      ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Jen~Ealogy View Post
        Hi David, I'm using photoshop elements 5.0 at the moment but I'm thinking of upgrading....must ask Wendy, I think she is using elements 7.0, wonder if it's got more/better features.
        I've had a trial of PS Elements and I really liked what it could do. My only debate (with myself !) was which platform if I were to buy it. I use both a PC and a MAC and each version has some slight differences.
        David.
        Researching: Jamieson/Glasgow, Scotland + New York. Fiddaman/Durham. Russell/Lanarkshire

My Tree

Comment

I have Photoshop Elements 6 as well as Photoshop 7 (not Elements 7), but I usually use Elements.
          There's a huge difference in price between Photoshop Elements and the full Photoshop, and I find that Elements has all the features I need for restoration purposes.
          I've also heard good things about Paint Shop Pro, which costs even less than Elements.

There's a good comparison of the full Photoshop, Photoshop Elements and Paint Shop Pro here: Paint Shop Pro vs Photoshop vs Photoshop Elements
          Free trials are available for both programs - see links at the bottom of the comparison page.
          Last edited by Cloggie; 21-07-09, 16:24.
          Sarah

Comment

David ~ if you find an inexpensive program with a history brush ~ get that.

I find the history brush useful for all sorts

~~~~~~ waves to Sarah
            ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I use Photoshop 7 but I also have PaintshopPro 5 plus Serif's Photoshop 8 (free on a Family Tree magazine CD)

They all have similar tools to do the jobs needed for restoration, but I prefer Photoshop 7. I've tried all the others for ease of use and colouring, and keep coming back to Photoshop 7.
              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Wendy, do you get a history brush with any of those ?

Comment

No Rachel they don't. Photoshop is so much easier to colour the way you showed me too.
                  Wendy

Comment

Wendy's post has reminded me that I also have a couple of other programs: ULEAD PhotoImpact 12SE which was free with my ASUS motherboard, and Arcsoft PhotoStudio which came with my Canon scanner/printer.
                    Both of those programs have similar tools to Photoshop and Elements, with PhotoImpact having more tools than PhotoStudio. But I prefer both Photoshop and Elements to either of those programs.

As I said above, I mainly use Elements, for ease of use more than anything, but there are some useful features in Photoshop 7 that aren't available in Elements: the Patch tool and the Colour Channels come to mind. Also the History Brush that Rachel has mentioned. I've never used the History Brush before, so will have to check that out one of these days.
                    Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Cloggie View Post
                      I've never used the History Brush before, so will have to check that out one of these days.
                      Do try it Sarah ~ it's become one of my main tools

Comment

I will. Thanks Rachel.
                        Sarah

Comment

I haven't used the History brush yet either.
                          Wendy

Comment

I will. Thanks Rachel.

Do you have sensible instructions ?
                            I have some easy to follow ones sent to me by one of the Roots people if you want them

Hi Wendy ~ didn't see you ~ I think you already have the instructions don't you ?
                            Last edited by Rachel Scand; 21-07-09, 18:31.

Comment

There's something in one of my restoration books about using the History Brush and History Snapshot for retouching skin texture, but that's the only mention of it.
                              I'd love to see the instructions you mentioned.
                              Sarah

Comment

There's something in one of my restoration books about using the History Brush and History Snapshot for retouching skin texture, but that's the only mention of it.
                                I'd love to see the instructions you mentioned.
                                have sent pm

Comment

Thank you!
                                  Sarah

Comment

Yes thanks Rachel I already have them, but haven't used it yet. Will have to have a go.
                                    Wendy

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
                                      Do you have sensible instructions ?
                                      I have some easy to follow ones sent to me by one of the Roots people if you want them
                                      Are they shareable? i.e. you would not be breaching any copyright if you were to post them here. I would like to see them if possible?

thanks
                                      David.

My Tree

Comment

For those using Elements, here are a couple of workarounds for the History Brush:
                                        History Brush Workaround? - Elements Village
                                        How can I simulate Photoshop’s History brush when using Elements?
                                        Sarah

Comment

Working...
                                        X