How did this man become Gentleman ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did this man become Gentleman ?

Oh his marriage in 1850 he is a Labourer in the 1851 census he is a House/keeper in the 1861 census he is a Porter yet on his Wifes Death Cert in 1852 on which he is the informant he is a Gentleman ???
    Wouldn't a Gentleman have to have money ?? or does it just mean unemployed ?

A gentleman is someone who has moved up the social scale, and I am pretty sure is someone who doesn't HAVE to work...

Comment

Thanks Barbara thats what I thought yet he is a Gentleman in 1852 and a Porter in 1861, maybe he was a gambler?

Comment

Perhaps he was lying?

Lots of people did on their certs - I have quite a few in my tree who prefer being "Gentleman" to "Coffee House Keeper" , for example!
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

One of mine went from labourer to messenger to lodging house keeper to gentleman, not necessarily in that order.

Comment

I have one who I at first thought was a Gentleman on his marriage certificate, until I read it more closely and realised that it actually said Gentleman's Servant. :D
            Sarah

Comment

lol Sarah
              thanks Elizabeth and Lindsey, lets hope she did not marry him for his money ?

Comment

Don't suppose his name was Charles Skillman was it? LOL

I have an ancestor, Charles Skillman, who does something very similar. Labourer - housekeeper - porter at law chambers - gentleman.

:D

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

no Tom but how odd everything matches, ooer

Comment

Several of my plain old clerks liked to describe themselves as gentlemen as they got older, (usually on their childrens marriage certs but sometimes on their own)

It may just mean that he had some form of pension, investment (or allowance from a grown up child) which meant he did not have to work in later life.

Comment

I was bemused by one man, who on his illegitimate child's birth cert put occupation as "gentleman's butler". I mean, apart from gentlemen, who would have a butler!!!
                      Sadly his claim is not borne out by census info where he is a tradesman.
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I have one who's described as "Gentleman, Railway shareholder" - he's previously a grocer so presumably retired on the proceeds of some shares. I think that in the days before pensions, it mostly meant someone lucky enough to be able to retire before ill health/old age forced them to.
                        Roger

Comment

Lol Tom, mine was called Edward Burton! :D

The family story was he owned a lot of land round Croydon but as I can't find a Will there's no proof!

He kept a lodging house up to his death, described himself as a gentleman on his daughter's wedding cert, and was a 'messenger' when his granddaughter registered his death!

Comment

what I want to know is how come I can never find a will for my lot ???

Comment

maybe they had nothing left by the time they died?

a few of my families have 'gentleman' they usually have fantastic businesses, or a lot of money saved. not just in england, but in australia too. likewise, 'lady' isnt a job really, just that dady was rich enough to support the daughters before marriage.

Comment

I wouldn't put too much significance on it.

My GG Grandfather was a Tailor of very modest means (very very poor) and died in 1848 when his daughter was 7 years old but on her marriage certificate in 1862 to a gentleman of means she's put her fathers name and under profession 'Gentleman' deceased! :D

Comment

My favourite stretch of the imagination in grandiosing fathers is my gt uncle Thomas Emmets Matthews saying his father was a "provisions merchant". He was a "milk carrier" but as he was dead when gt uncle married it was OK I guess!
                                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Val, you're probably right. I've got one in the 1920's whose marriage certificate stated his father was a gentleman. We all know his father was an idle layabout who had to be pushed out of the door to go to work !

Comment

You live and learn in this dont you??

Comment

Very few of mine left Wills, Val, even people who from all the evidence would have had something to leave!

And even the ones who did, never put in anything interesting - no love children, or reference to family arguments.

One managed to make a will leaving everything to 'his dear wife' - and never mentioned her name!

Comment

Working...
                                        X