Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1861 census lookup please isle of wight

could someone please do a lookup in the 1861 census for a Barnaubs Snudden
    and a son Frederick Snudden ( Isle Of Wight)
    would appreciate any information provided
    Thank You
    angel24

I can't see them on the Isle of Wight, but a bit more info would help (birthdates and places).

scuda
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Right, I have Barnabus Snudden b Godshill (that's the I o W, I think) in Brading, Hampshire. Banabus is 37 and a carpenter. He's with a wife and children including Frederick age 11. If you think that's him I'll post the details

scuda

PS if you're looking on Ancestry his name is transcribed Barnabas
      Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Here's the family in 1861, in Brading, Hants:

Barnabus Snudden, Head, 37, Carpenter, b Godshill
        Mirian Snudden, Wife, 38, b Worcs B----- (possibly Badsey)
        Frederick, Son, 11
        Henry, Son, 6
        James, Son, 5
        George, Son, 2
        Louisa, Daughter, 2 months

All the children born at Sandown

Class: RG9; Piece: 659; Folio: 86; Page: 15; GSU roll: 542680.

Hope this is the family you're looking for.

scuda

Comment

Angel - just in case you don't know, if you are researching Isle of Wight anscestors then have a look at the Isle of Wight Family History Society site
          IWFHS Index Page

You will see that they have transcribed the BMD index (birth/marriages/deaths) so you should be able to find the birth registrations for all the children, as well as the marriage for Barnabus and Mirian.

If you need any help then just ask.
          Elaine

Comment

Thank you Scuda and Elaine,
            I have looked at the Isle Of Wight sight and this is what i have so far, i have a Barnabus Snudden married 1849 to Hannah Smith, children Frederick B1850 and Edward born 1852. D. 1852 Hannah the wife also died 1852.
            i have not been able to find another marriage for Barnabus but you have given me a Miriam in the 1861 census, so he must have remarried,
            I have found a Frederick Walter Snudden on the 1881 census in Cheshire England and i feel this is Frederick born 1851 I.O.W he is married with children and married on the I.O.W in 1873 to a Jane Williams and had a daughter in 1874 on I.O.W and the other children were born in Cheshire,

really appreciate the information you have provided
            Thank you
            Angel 24

Comment

In 1871 the name of Barnabus' wife looks like either Marian or Mariam. The family is in Shanklin I o W:

Barnabus Snudden, Head, 52, Wheelwright, b Godshill
              Marian, Wife, 48, b Southampton
              James, Son, 14, Servant
              George, Son, 12, Scholar
              Louisa, Daughter, 10
              Alice, Daughter, 8

All the children b Sandown, IoW

RG10 piece 1168 folio 131 page 20

I haven't found the marriage yet, thought I'd look in 1871 to check her name first. They may not have married, of course.

scuda

Comment

It might be worth mentioning that, if you're looking for Barnabus, there's a high chance of it being transcribed as Barnabas, because of that being the usual spelling of the Biblical saint's name.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There is a tree on Ancestry that has Barnabas Snudden and Marian Polmer although it says she was born 1823 Larkhall, Bath.

FreeBMD have a marriage for a Benjamin Snudden and one of the wives on the same page is Marian Polmer. Dec qtr 1853 Southampton (2c 63)
                  Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

That must be the right marriage, Wendy. Polmer is the mother's maiden name for the children's births on the Isle of Wight FHS site that Elaine posted a link to. Marian's birthplace looks like Lark Hall Bath in 1881.

scuda

Comment

Working...
                    X